Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I got the Pigtail connector the one that goes in front of the ignition coil. Ok

here is my questions what is the best way to install it back?

I know that all the wires are Black so I have to connect the cables the same

way as the one on the old one. I got that part down pretty good.

My question is I just want to you know tie both ends the one that comes

from the car and then the other from the new Pigtail, put some electrical

tape in between both areas and really tie it again with some more electrical

tape then slide it back to the wire cover and bingo done.

Is that how most people do it?

I did receive an advise from someone here to use either butt connector or to

soder the two cable together. I do not know how to soder cables and I do

not have the machine for that is there another way?

Thanks

John

·
Registered
70 Posts
Don't just electrical tape it. Just get some butt connectors (bring the pigtail with you to the parts store so you can get the right gauge), and some crimpers and just connect the wires using those. Do one wire at a time so you don't get confused. If you bought the Ford pigtail, you'll have heat shrink wrap with it. Put the heat shrink on one wire before you connect it, then slide the heat shrink over the connection. Then just use a heat gun or a lighter until you see a little wax coming out the end of the wrap, and you're done.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
^^true. the ford pigtail has butt connectors and shrink wrap. i did this repair a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok.. Dang I am so nervous on doing this. Sorry guys I am so new to car repairs. My car sounded like SHI#$ when I accidently rip this wire I am so afraid I will not have my old nice and quiet Focus. I only had the car for 2 weeks so I am feeling very awful and I just want to get it right. I bought the part from RockAuto.com. do you guys have a thread or youtube video that will show me how to connect this wires togther correctly?

Thansk in advance,

·
Registered
70 Posts
Honestly, all you'll need is a decent set of wire strippers and crimpers and the aforementioned lighter or heat gun. Just cut the factory wires one by one, and as you do, connect the wires from the pigtail onto them. Make sure you have the same wires going into the same holes on the connectors. Strip the wire back maybe 3/4", twist the copper end until it holds together well, slide it in the butt connector and crimp it. As I said though, just make sure you have the heat shrink on there first. Do the same for the connector end, and just repeat for all the wires. Then, just plug it in, and you should be good to go. RockAuto.com has all Ford/Motorcraft parts if I'm not mistaken, so you should have the heat shrink and butt connectors already.

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
Don't be afraid of this task its simple..

the one thing you need the most is patience.. work slowly and everything will go together easily

cut the heatshrink so that its 3/4 of an inch longer on each side of the Butt Connector/Crimp connector and slide the heatshrink on each wire of the pigtail before you start crimping
Cut each wire 1 by 1 and join them this way you can keep track of which wire goes where

I will make a short video of how to do it just give me a it to find some scraps to make the video from...

in the mean time heres a pic of the TPS pigtail I had to attach ( ignore the arrow its pointed toward the PCV tube for other people to see its location)

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
i want to add. keep the wire lengths longer than the original so that the engine has room to move and flex without pulling on the wires

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
:) in other words snip the wires as close as possible to the old plug but the new pigtail should have in excess of 6+ inch's of wire which is alot more then the OEM length

as you can see on mine it now has ALOT of extra wire I haven't gotten around to putting a new wire wrap on it thats why there loose :)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pig connector Pics.

Ok Guys I have pictures of the Plug on how it looks. From what I am seeing I

will just need to cut the wires tight them together then place the middle

piece between both of them, of course with the heat shrink on one already.

Then crimp them together light up a match or lighter let the heat shrink melt

away and then presto. Let me know if I am going to do this the right way. I

will post more picture of how the old one look how I did it and post some pics

of the car you guys helped me fix.

Thanks again...

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
you have the Ford kit. ( i can see "FORD MOTOR COMPANY" upside down and backwards in the packaging. you have everything you need including shrink wrap and butt connectors.

You also have the instructions that come with the kit. give those a thorough read.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Which side to use...

I need to get some advice.. Which side of this plyer do I need to use to crimp the butt

connector and what is the process?

Or wich one did you guys use.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Help!!! Again!!!

I finally did it and my car is back to normail. Except one thing when I turn on my A/C my car RPM kinda drop and the car will shake a little.[gunfire] Any ideas what this might be?[dunno]

The car no longer feels like it drags when I acelerate, the engine is no longer noise, but now my A/C drops the RPM too low.

Here are the pics from the old Pigtail Connector.[clap]

Thanks to everyone that helped me.

Attachments

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Case Closed...

CASE CLOSE!!!

Everything worked excellent on my car now. Feral was so right.[pray] My A/C was

dropping my RPM so I was a little sad about that[rant] . Of course I tried it without

really driving the car just maybe about 1/2 a mile. I emailed Feral and he

informed me that the car will need to relearn the idling process.[pray] I was still a

little sad and I could not sleep thinking I might of messed up my car. [target] This

morning I tested again before comming to work and it did the same thing I

was even more convinced. I drove to wor 25 miles here and to my surprise

now the car is nice and steady now!! My AC works like a charm and instead

of dropping the RPM it kinda move them up just a little bit and I do not even

feel a thing when the compressor kicks on and is nice and cool inside.

Thanks everyone,[woot]

John[race]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts