Focus Fanatics Forum banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Kenwood DDX271 - Double Din

All,

Thanks to Deener for being the pioneer on this install. The install was easy using his method. I am thinking of using the bezel's screw tabs to help hold the radio in place through the use of fabricated brackets. Does anyone have any thoughts on this since it will necessitate the removal of the screw holes in the dash maybe. I guess I won't really know if I have proper clearance until I actually try to install it.

Any other thoughts on fixing the radio into position would also be appreciated. Or is it even needed?

Steven

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Snelski: Hey, that vinyl looks awesome. Where did you get it? My stock HU is really showing it's age, so installing a new on would be great, if i can do one like yours came out it would be just what I need.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not wanting to Necro an old thread but I was wanting to do this on my 02 Focus but the video in this post has been marked private.

·
Registered
106 Posts
it's really easy though, and pretty evident once you get into it. I installed it from behind so it's tucked inside nicely
1. remove the old one, remove the dashboard fascia
2. install the metra kit on the head unit
3. try to insert it from behind of the dashboard fascia, you'll notice there is one small tab blocking your path, I think on top, dremel it out
4. insert it into the receptacle before connecting cables, it may not go fully back due to some piece of material blocking it below, so use a marker to... mark it
6. take the whole thing out again, cut the material as close to the mark as possible
7 connect the cables and insert it again

That's it

·
Registered
2003 ZX3
93 Posts
it's really easy though, and pretty evident once you get into it. I installed it from behind so it's tucked inside nicely
1. remove the old one, remove the dashboard fascia
2. install the metra kit on the head unit
3. try to insert it from behind of the dashboard fascia, you'll notice there is one small tab blocking your path, I think on top, dremel it out
4. insert it into the receptacle before connecting cables, it may not go fully back due to some piece of material blocking it below, so use a marker to... mark it
6. take the whole thing out again, cut the material as close to the mark as possible
7 connect the cables and insert it again

That's it
The kit that's basically the little side tabs that screw onto the headunit? Is it just a small tab or do you have to take out some of the trim piece? I thought the hole was technically 1.5 DIN instead of 2.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yes the kit is just like that.
It's a small tab on the inner side of the trim so the external trim is untouched.
I have the Sony XAV-100 and except for the tabs on the side it looks great.

·
Registered
106 Posts
snagged a couple pics so you can see the result, it sits flush using this method.
I wish I had the skill to make the metra rails look the same as the dash though.

·
Registered
2003 ZX3
93 Posts
Looks GREAT, Idk why they didn't bring that center piece to the USA with the clock in it. I love it! And that install is cleaner looking than a single DIN install! Thanks for the pics!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yeah here in Ecuador we used to get the UK model (assembled in Argentina)
This fascia actually has a black wood (plastic) look to it that is pretty great, real leather seats too (I figure because leather is cheap in Argentina), mine is a Ghia 5 door.

I have seen american ZX3s and ZX5 and even a fully loaded ZTS and the plastics are definitely down a notch compared to mine.

Good luck on the small project

61 - 77 of 77 Posts