·
Registered
484 Posts
the clips will hold it in place

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all,

Have just joined. First of all, thanks to everyone in this thread for the useful information, has been very helpful. Trying to install a double din head unit at the moment, and have bought a replacement bezel designed for it.

Possibly a stupid question, but can someone please tell me how to disconnect the heater/fan control plugs? There is so little slack in the wiring I can barely even turn it over to see the back of it, and from the pics at the start of the thread it looks like they can be easily disconnected.

Do I need to undo any of the screws on the back of it, or is it just a matter of trying to push/pull whatever little clips are on the plug and pull the hell out of it?

Already wasted an hour swapping the ciggy/power socket over onto the new bezel so hoping this job will be a bit easier :)

cheers

·
ninja lurker status
23,137 Posts
I unscrewed mine. Couldn't get it any other way. Not saying there isn't one, I just couldn't.

·
Registered
671 Posts
So here's my issue...I installed a double din stereo in my 03 ZX3, and when I did so I just slid the stereo into the bezel and locked it into place. I never took the 4 screws out from the back of the bezel, is there anyway that I can possibly get my stereo out of my car now?

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Ive got steering wheel controls how is this affected??
Does this have to deal with installing a double Din? You likely will get more support by starting a new thread or searching for one more relevant if not.

unless you hook up the controls or the head unit identifies that it can work with steering wheel controls it likely will not work. there are some that do, and there are some that dont.

What aftermarket head unit do you have?

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
There are adaptors on crurchfield that will allow you to use your steering wheel controls with any headunit

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
671 Posts
Yeah super easy, just make sure you have the wiring harness and the kit to fit the dashboard, you'll have to order it online because nobody locally carries them.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thanks for the excellent pics and instructions...

Just wanted to say thanks for this thread - I completed my Double DIN install with a Clarion CX501 and also wrapped my bezel with silver Carbon Fiber look vinyl, which came out fantastic. With the help of this thread in particular, thanks again

20140416 Focus Stereo Install 01.jpg

20140416 Focus Stereo Install 02.jpg

20140416 Focus Stereo Install 05.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
JVC KW-HDR81BT in a 2004 ZX3

Has anyone installed a JVC model KW-HDR81BT, double DIN in a 2004 ZX3? Crutchfield swears it will fit with a rear install, but no matter how I approach it, I can not get a flush or even near flush fit. Before I start trimming the bezel and forgetting about using the 4 screws to hold the bezel in place, I need to know if I am making this way too complicated.

Thanks for all the other posts. It is reassuring to know that this is a common problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just bought myself a Double DIN JVC from Crutchfield for my 02 ZX3. No warnings that I'd have to cut anything...

Got it all wired up this AM (BEFORE doing my research!) and went to put it in the dash and

No dice. There's a lip just inside the bezel that's preventing me from sliding the radio in. Grrr.

So now I get to hack on my 'new-to-me' Focus. Aaah well. Replacement bezels are cheap if I hose it up.

...but that leads to another question: There were 3 plugs in the back of my stock radio. The smallest has one white/green wire in it. What's that for?

M

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
One is for speakers and power, one is for an external amp, one is for controling the volume when the car speeds up and down if im not mistaken.

·
Registered
6 Posts
One is for speakers and power, one is for an external amp, one is for controling the volume when the car speeds up and down if im not mistaken.
I've been digging thru some older threads. Found that that last plug does the auto volume control for the stock HU. Since the new HU didn't have that, I left it be.

Now to chop up my bezel. Wish me luck!

M

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Its a cool feature IMO i dont knwo how many times ive been jamming my system with the windows down doing 75 on the freeway and your ears tend to sort of start ringing from all the wind noise then you stop and go inside some where and come back out start your car AND THE RADIO IS BLASTING AND YOUR LIKE WTF HOW COULD I BE LISTING THAT LOUD!?!?!

Your ears readjust to the quiet and then you get back in yoru car and its WAY loud! That auto volume would be nice with a better radio.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Install JVC DD in 04 ZX3

Thanks for all the advice. I used a Dremel to cut the top edge of the opening in the bezel and to remove the tab on the top left side. Overall I am very pleased with the result.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 77 Posts