Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made a thread about this last year, and someone had done this before. So after some discussion, I ordered the parts around that time. Well since I'm lazy, I finally got around to doing this. Pretty easy.

Parts Needed:

2x WPT-1192 (Pigtail connector)
2x BM5Z-13776-D (Light)

You could also use BM5Z-13776-C for the light, one is for the right and one for the left, but I'm pretty sure they are the same thing.

Some wire. I used this since it had three wires and a jacket covering already: https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...or-18-awg-power-wire-pp-frpvc-gray/1852/4492/

You also need some way to splice into the existing wires. Use your favorite method here, solder, t-taps, posi taps, whatever you like.

You then just need to wire the pigtails into the wire you bought, and splice into the existing ambient lights under the dash. I then ran the wires through the center console just by stuffing them up the sides. The wire exits on the side of the seat, near the seat belt, and goes under the rails for the seat. I also bought a project box and dremeled out a hole for the light to sit into, but that isn't necessary. The box did have mounting holes on it though, which made it easy to run a zip tie through. Then you just need to zip tie them under the driver and passenger seat.

Some pics:

The hardest part was trying to fit myself under the dash to splice the wires and in the backseat to zip tie them under the seats.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
No, they are the exact same lights as the front. Those are the part #'s for the the front lights.
Ok - Thanks for the write up. I've looked at the lights in the front and I haven't seen a small black box... That's why I thought they were different... I read it but somehow my brain forgot about it haha... The transparent plastic piece come with the light also or it's custom ?

I had another solution from a member here (run cheap LED strip from eBay and fuse-tap) but your solution look cleaner. Thanks for the write up !

I'll put some splitter in the front with two connector so it's easy to remove / swap.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok - Thanks for the write up. I've looked at the lights in the front and I haven't seen a small black box... That's why I thought they were different... I read it but somehow my brain forgot about it haha... The transparent plastic piece come with the light also or it's custom ?

I had another solution from a member here (run cheap LED strip from eBay and fuse-tap) but your solution look cleaner. Thanks for the write up !

I'll put some splitter in the front with two connector so it's easy to remove / swap.
The lights are just the clear piece and the surface mount LED, you can see them at the top of the first pic. The black box was just a project box I bought to mount them in. You don't need it if you just zip tie the the light by itself. I bought something similar to this:

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-...ct-box-w/mtg-flange-6.18-x-3.78-x-2.10/1.html

·
Registered
1,191 Posts

·
The ImpoSTer
2,285 Posts
How much did this cost you? Also can a car without the color changing system be modified to accommodate it?

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How much did this cost you? Also can a car without the color changing system be modified to accommodate it?
On fordparts.com with AutoNation Ford as my selected dealer, the lights are 7.72 each, and the pigtails are 9.90 each. So ~$35 for the parts, add a bit extra if you need wire and crimps or anything.

No sure if this would work with car that do not have ambient lighting, but you should be able to lookup what part # your lights are under your dash and splice those in.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I called different dealer this morning, here in Canada, and I finally paid 82.33$ with taxes included (CAD). They needed to order the parts. I will get them tomorrow. I'll go get the connectors and cables tomorrow also. I'll post pictures.

By the way, and don't ask me why, BM5Z-13776-D is always cheaper then BM5Z-13776-C by few %.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Would this work with a MK1 focus... Ideally I'd like to add some lighting to the trunk of my zx3 which is woefully under-lit.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
When you get a chance could you sit in the back seat when it's dark and take a picture. This is really cool! i'd like to see how much it actually lights it up back there.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Would this work with a MK1 focus... Ideally I'd like to add some lighting to the trunk of my zx3 which is woefully under-lit.
All you need is to find a fuse that power up when the car is running. You need to wire the positive to the fuse from the LED stripe. The negative must be wired to the chassis of the vehicule (any metal surface big enough - your seat's rails are a good choice).

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I machined this morning two pieces of plastic to hold the LED assembly (plastic + LED / PCB)... see attached pictures.

Next step is to attach a 6 feets long cable to the assembly (which I didn't receive yet, back order in Canada... 3-5 days).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
When you get a chance could you sit in the back seat when it's dark and take a picture. This is really cool! i'd like to see how much it actually lights it up back there.
Yeah, I'll see if I can get one tomorrow night for you.

I machined this morning two pieces of plastic to hold the LED assembly (plastic + LED / PCB)... see attached pictures.

Next step is to attach a 6 feets long cable to the assembly (which I didn't receive yet, back order in Canada... 3-5 days).
Damn, that looks a lot better than my dremel work [wrenchin][twothumbs]

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry this picture sucks, but it's from me standing with the back door open looking in.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts