Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been looking at fuse box diagrams for a while and they all tell me different things so I'll try my luck here [;)]

Basically, I want to be able to switch my dashboard lights (heater controls, window buttons, hazard light button etc) on and off when I'm driving in the dark. I can do the radio myself (aftermarket radio). My original plan was to find which fuse serves these lights, and replace it with a switch routed into the dashboard. I started pulling the fuses that seemed relevant according to the diagrams, but none I tried seemed to do the trick.

My car is the poverty model, so no foglights and no dimmer dial on the headlight switch fascia [:(] I've heard you can replace the module with a dimmer-fitted one, and it would dim the dashboard. My logic says the feed comes into this module and out again, I should be able to cut it and fit a switch in there?

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
look into the headlight switch you may be able to run an accessory switch from there....not sure why you want to do this but.....ok

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was looking for the pinout diagram for the switch (what every wire does) but I haven't found anything that points me in the right direction. :(

·
Registered
609 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
pcordes, you're a lifesaver. If I could I would email you a beer!

So, I could cut the wire from pin9, put a hefty switch in series and I should be good?

I was thinking of using the foglight pullswitchknobamajig to turn them on/off since I have no fogs, but I think that's getting cocky!

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
This pinout diagram is for an 06...US spec things may be different than euro spec....I know im in the process of swapping out euro goodies into the the SVT

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just a thought, could I cut wire 9 and connect it to the foggy output (pin3) instead? So I could have the dash lights turned on by pulling the knob out?

·
Registered
609 Posts
That may not work as if your car doesn't have fog lights it may not have the wiring for them so that wire may not work best to leave the switch working the way it is intended too. Before cutting any wires be sure to verify the wiring as there may be changes between years esp since the US never had a 98 or 99 Focus so there may be differences in wiring as changes have been known to be made.

A simpler option would be to get a headlight switch from a 99 Focus with the dimmer control (perhaps from an auto salvage yard) that way you don't have to cut anything.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts