Focus Fanatics Forum banner

61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Does anyone know where I should cut my access panel in my 2011 Focus? I looked under the grommet and not seeing anything that might look like the top of my module. I'm thinking it might be in the more center location and a little more rearward from the grommet. Also, if I just remove the bolt holding the straps, can I lower the front of the tank to get a better look at where the module might be located? Or, can I lower it enough to change the pump module? I already have over $1000 in this thing and still no gas gauge. It;s driving me nuts. Thanks.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Does anyone know where I should cut my access panel in my 2011 Focus? I looked under the grommet and not seeing anything that might look like the top of my module. I'm thinking it might be in the more center location and a little more rearward from the grommet. Also, if I just remove the bolt holding the straps, can I lower the front of the tank to get a better look at where the module might be located? Or, can I lower it enough to change the pump module? I already have over $1000 in this thing and still no gas gauge. It;s driving me nuts. Thanks.

2011 Ford Focus inaccurate fuel gauge fix

Is this your issue?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the idea DD. My gauge reads EMPTY 99.9999% of the time. Very rarely it will momentarily read OK. Most recent diagnosis at the Ford stealership was P0463 code (Fuel Level Sensor Circuit High Input ) and also reported codes B1202 and B1206 (whatever they are). I had the fuel pump sending unit replaced and still NG. The unit that came out showed a resistance of 13 to 177 Ohms thru the range of float height movement and the pump's input resistance is 3,8 Ohms and operates OK on 12V.

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Thanks for the idea DD. My gauge reads EMPTY 99.9999% of the time. Very rarely it will momentarily read OK. Most recent diagnosis at the Ford stealership was P0463 code (Fuel Level Sensor Circuit High Input ) and also reported codes B1202 and B1206 (whatever they are). I had the fuel pump sending unit replaced and still NG. The unit that came out showed a resistance of 13 to 177 Ohms thru the range of float height movement and the pump's input resistance is 3,8 Ohms and operates OK on 12V.
You should have lead-in with that info Derbie. Most of the time, with a "Circuit High" code-> This is the PCM trying to say "electrical wiring problem" or "something is disconnected". You need to hire a technician with the proper 2011 diagrams (and a multi-meter) and have the wiring tested in-between the instrument cluster and the fuel tank sending unit. The FIRST PART of this test can be performed once the instrument cluster is removed and will NOT require access to the fuel pump/sending unit.
The technician will test the two wires (for fuel level) that GO TO and THRU and RETURN FROM the fuel sending unit.

Build a basic DC circuit, similar to a handheld flashlight. Example a 9V battery, some wire, and a light bulb. Now add the 2 wires in the car (the fuel level wires) to this home-made flashlight circuit. If you do not understand how to do this, ask the automotive electrician that you hire, they can show you how this type of test is performed and why. It is a "load test" of the 2 suspect wires in your fuel level circuit.

Please do not replace the fuel sending unit again. I doubt I can help you much further, because my wire diagrams are for 2004, -too old.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You've already been a great help. Thanks. At this point I'm desperate for anything that I can get. This thing is driving me nuts. Any chance you can elaborate on the DC circuit layout? I am fairly comfortable with circuitry. Just not sure about what this one should look like and where/how the "2 wires in the car (the fuel level wires)" are incorporated into the 9V circuit. Much obliged Marde.

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
...Any chance you can elaborate on the DC circuit layout?
Yes and no. I must first bitch a little bit.

You should have started your own thread (2 days ago?) within the FF area called General Tech Chat. This "How To" thread is not meant for you and me to discuss your car problem.

I will give you some additional help, -only if you create your own thread within Gen Tech Chat.

Please create a new thread (your own). Maybe use a new thread Title of "2011 Fuel Level Indication Problem" -or whatever title you want. I will get back to you in your new (TBD) thread, I will also link-back to this (How-To) thread so other people reading can learn from your car problem and your ultimate "my car is fixed" solution.

Deal?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Absolutely, and thanks. Didn't mean to hijack the thread with my specific issue. I'll start a new thread ASAP and thanks in advance for any help.

61 - 67 of 67 Posts