Focus Fanatics Forum banner

How to clean a Zetec Block?

953 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  jetrinka 
#1 ·
I will be pulling the crank shaft, and pistons today and will be left with a raw very dirty block with oil grime on the outside and deposits (Oil and Coolant) on the inside. Whats the best way to clean the block? Should I just find a way to submerge the block in parts cleaner? Can I take it to the car wash and power wash it down?

Should I just get the Oven Cleaner, paint stripper and use good old fashion work? I will be sending the block off to get hones and blue printed so I am presuming they will do some clean up also.

#2 ·
what do you plan on doing with the block? building it?[scratch] you can get everything hot tanked at a machine shop to make sure its super clean and while your there get it bored/honed if needed! i think its around $100 to hot tank an engine and $40-$50 a cylinder to bore/hone! or if you just want to clean i always loved simple green cuts thru oil![thumb]

#3 ·
I am rebuilding it for a Turbo build with new pistons, rods, bearings, Head (P&P with larger valves and cams) and APC hardware...

Whats the best way to clean it prior to the shop? I am not joking when there are areas with almost 1/2" or more of "gunk" build up.

#5 ·
i would just take it somewhere and say dunk this please. they'll chemical bath it and remove all that shit.

#6 ·
I think I will just do that then... I still need to get parts cleaner to clean everything else up... Will they also take and clean other parts like the windage tray? Is the oil "staining" there to stay or can that get cleaned off?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.