Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'M FINALLY DONE!!!
HOW TO RETROFIT A HONDA CIVIC FRONT LIP ONTO A 05-07 FRONT END:

1. Acquire your lip. The reason I used a lip for a Honda Civic is because they are so rediculously cheap. They are made of ABS plastic, which is a very flexible and durable plastic, perfect for this application.
DO NOT PAY OVER 80$ FOR YOUR LIP. THEY ARE ON EBAY FOR 65-75$.
I only say this because they are all the same lip, and they are not worth any more then 80 bucks. If you really must pay over 80, be my guest, but I'm just trying to help.

2. Tape the lip on.
I taped mine on in three places, the sides and in the middle. This is important because you absolutely have to center it. Mine is off center by a few millimeters, but it really isnt too noticeable. Anyways, When you tape it on, tape the center first. You will need to do this first so that you can tape the sides on and keep them as high up as possible.

3. Address your fitment issues.
I had a few issues here as you can see, the sides were angled a little too wide for the bumper. Also, the middle needed pressure applied to look clean and gapless. This is where your going to need to attach the lip to the bumper and tighten it up.

4. Bolt the sides on. Once you know where your lip will sit and where your going to have issues, you can bolt the sides on and remove the tape holding the lip on. If you are worried about it being off center, leave only the tape in the middle on (as seen in the pics above).
I used a simple dark colored bolt and nut with some washers to do this. Its quite difficult to tighten the bolt, And its impossible with my car. (2" drop.)

5. Bolt the lip onto the bumper at the points that dont fit well. I bolted mine on at the points were fitment was at its worst, because the bolt will pull the lip against the bumper, eliminating any gaps caused by irregular shape.
Its hard to see the bolt here, but its right behind the foglight holder thing.

6. Tighten bolts until the lip is flush with the car. As you can see in the pic below, the gap is gone after the bolt is tightened.

7. Enjoy.

More pics will be in Showroom.

INFO:
Lip was: Honda Civic Front Bumper PU lip Type-R 99 00 EK 2/3/4dr

I used random bolts from around my house, but the wheel-well bolts were 1", the sides used 3" bolts, the middle used 2" bolts.

Heres a simple side-view diagram of how the bolts are in the bottom of the lip and up to the bumper:

The orange is the bolt and nut, the thick black is the car, the thin black is the lip.

Any questions/requests for more info, tell me and I'll post it here.

·
MyCarBreaksAlot
8,609 Posts
Wow! That looks really good, I'd like to see it painted. Nice work.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Wow. I really like how it looks, but something just makes me itch about putting a Honda part onto the Fofo.

It's amazing how well it works with the car though! Good job. =)

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
these pics make it look a bit more snug to the bumper, nice work

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow. I really like how it looks, but something just makes me itch about putting a Honda part onto the Fofo.

It's amazing how well it works with the car though! Good job. =)
I know what you mean, and you are right, it is a low quality product. However for this application it turns out pretty good. The lack of a quality fit makes it better for the focus. :p

·
Registered
238 Posts
does anybody know if this would work for the first gen.focus(2000-2004)?i'm not sure if the bumpers changed from the wheel well to the front curve??

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Well, technically, it doesn't "work" on a second gen Focus either. =)

You gotta MAKE it work!

·
Sticker Whore
18,739 Posts
I believe thats a Ryobi Drill. But I may be mistakin. Awesome job by the way!!!!!!!!!!! Looks great!!
ill be damned, i keep swearing im not ganna post tired, and i just keep doing it... thanks man

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
well I'm tempted to do it on my 02 but it won't happen..... THOUGH I wonder how well it would work with an ST170 front end [;)]

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Honestly, its always worth a try. If your really good with body work, you can do anything. I'm not too good with body work, which is why the fitment sucks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i think that this looks awesome!! do the pics make it look better then it really looks in person or does it really fit gapless now? if its really this easy then i'm gonna do it. you did a great job on the write up and thanks for sharing!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts