Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just did a bunch of work on my sons 2002 twin cam Ztec SE station wagon and its over heating while driving down the road but not at idle. Is there any way to check the water pump to see if its circulating? I'm thinking the impellers are worn down and failing at high speed.

I just replaced that alternator for the second time in 3 months. Is changing the water pump about the same amount of work as the water pump?

Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
you can check and see if the water pump is leaking sometimes you will hear a whining noise in the engine bay too when one is about to go out and that would be a good time to see if the bearing in the water pump is going out

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Are you sure that the thermostat is functioning?

Replacing the water pump is much more involved than the Alt.

If you do the water pump, replace the timing belt and tensioner while you are in there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its puking all over the place, so I don't think its the sensor. Its not leaking or making any noise. I guess a thermostat would be easiest. I guess I will just start swapping parts.

I would assume that the thermostat is where most cars are, where the upper radiator hose hooks to the engine?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The water pump isn't leaking or being noisy. I guess I will start swapping parts. Is the water pump in the usual place where the upper radiator hose hooks to the top of the motor?

·
Registered
17,459 Posts
Water pump usually attaches to the LOWER radiator hose...................as that is its' inlet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts