Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 40 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Really? I was just going off of the Hanes manual. What fluid should I be using? I haven't had a MTX-75 for very long (just finished an SPI/IB5 swap). I thought it was a touch strange too, but Hanes never lies, right? ;)

Is there a part number to get it from the stealership?

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
that is correct, u do not want to use the atx fluid...that was in the zetec tranny, even manuals. these use the synthetic mtx fluid. get it from the dealership, its weird stuff. best there is, but about 19 bucks a quart, and you NEED ALL 3. this is what it looks like.

·
.....NObama.....
1,875 Posts
You can't over fill it correct? The only way to nkow if it's full is when it starts coming out the fill hole.. that's what I heard anyway. And dang, I'm way over due if ya'll are doing it at 30k lol I'm at 70k and haven't done it yet. So I will notice a difference by changing it.... interesting, I'll have to go ahead and do it. Only thing is I don't have a perfectly flat driveway and I want to make sure it's filled right.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
As long as it is on a flat surface just let it drain the excess out. Once its level with the fill hole and stops dripping out put the plug back in and your done.

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
dont worry about changing it past 30. ford says 75k i think. i did mine at 32k, and it was still clear/honey-ish. probably no point to it, but i did it b/c i got it used, and didnt know how it was treated b4 me. only fluid left to change is the brake, and i will do that when i do the brakes.

·
.....NObama.....
1,875 Posts
I'm going to do mine soon, I'm at 70,800. I want to do the coolant too, but I'm not sure where to take the waste coolant when I'm done with it. Anyone know?

·
FocusFreak
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
As long as it is on a flat surface just let it drain the excess out. Once its level with the fill hole and stops dripping out put the plug back in and your done.
I'm pretty sure 2.1 quarts is below the plug hole. If it drips out, you are likely overfilling it. It's really easy to measure 2.1 quarts, so do that instead.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is this transmission proc same for '03 Zetec 2.0l automatics?

Hi all!

Great writeup on the manual transmission oil change. I am just wondering if this procedure is basically the same on the 2.0l 16v Zetec engine in our ZTW wagon? I've tried to look for automatic info on the board, but there doesn't seem to be a whole lot. I'd imagine, like othr cars, wouldn't an automatic take more tranny oil, say 3 or 4 quarts versus the 2.1 used for the 2.3 Duratec shown in this writeup?

Also, last question, since ours is an automatic, can I just use any Mercon V approved ATF? Say, like Royal Purple or Amsoil??

Thanks for any help/tips.

Eurodavid

·
Registered
16 Posts
i got a dumb question, the last time i was going to change my tranny fulid ford told me 5 quarts and i did buy the ford MTX stuuf. I have a 2.0 SPI, i belive the tranny is the IB5 right? if that is the right tranny than is it 2.1 quarts or 5 quarts?

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
have u tried posting about it in the spi forum? im not familiar with the spi at all, sorry.

·
Banned
2,334 Posts
I was told by ford that the trans fluid needs to be flushed out, not just drained. is this true? im due for the trans fluid change and ford wants 144.99 for the flush , i think thats a bit much. is the trans fluid change strait forward like a oil change ? it looks like it at least and what would happen if i put too much or too lil trans oil in? a lil help would be great. thanks guys

21 - 40 of 81 Posts