Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My black gear shift knob plastic is breaking off at the top.

I got a replacement on Amazon that is a match and i can see a screw hole under the switch.

If you search Amazon for this you will see its picture:
LUOERPI Automatic Gear Shift Knob, for Ford Focus MK2 Fiesta 2005-2012 Car Styling

I worried if I remove the current one I will not be able to replace to get the new one on for some reason.

Has anyone replaced one of these and how is it done?

·
Registered
264 Posts
That looks like its for a global market model. If you have the North American 08-11 market Focus, this link will tell you how to install an ATX gear selector knob, which is not the one you bought.

https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/mk2-interior-mods-upgrades/597089-08-auto-gearshift-handle-upgrade.html

My black gear shift knob plastic is breaking off at the top.

I got a replacement on Amazon that is a match and i can see a screw hole under the switch.

If you search Amazon for this you will see its picture:
LUOERPI Automatic Gear Shift Knob, for Ford Focus MK2 Fiesta 2005-2012 Car Styling

I worried if I remove the current one I will not be able to replace to get the new one on for some reason.

Has anyone replaced one of these and how is it done?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate the reply thanks.

My Focus is in the Philippines so yes its the global market model as you describe.

I think I figured out how to change it by checking YouTube videos for similar knobs on other brands like BMW that have a similar mechanism.

I will have a go at changing then add an update here a little later.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I changed the automatic gear knob now. It was easy to do.

I placed the gear to neutral so I have more space.

Needed a hex key, (Allen wrench or Allen key) to undo the screw that is below the button on the leaver. Then lifted the old knob off.

Placed the new knob on with the button facing forward then replaced the screw to secure the new knob in place.

Then I tested to try to change the neutral to park and it would not move out of neutral!

I then worked out the screw was too tight, preventing the button to be depressed.

A half-turn of the screw to untighten it then allowed it to move out of neutral.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts