Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I saw a couple people in the other DSI clip replacement thread that only needed the cable clip to be replaced, and since I figured this was mostly different than sleestak's thread, it needed its own. BOTH the clips for my DSI system were broken- the "lever" and the clip on the end of the cable. Someone who owned the car before me had already done the screw trick, but the screw bent which most likely broke the cable clip. This was a really easy R&R using basic hand tools.

CFM DSI Billit Aluminum Clip:
1. Take out the air intake system/CAI. Box, MAF, MAF to TB tube.
2. Pop off the one-use securing washer with pliers/wire cutters.
3. Take off the old lever and spring with the help of a flathead screwdriver.
4. Place the old spring in the same position on the new lever.
5. Put the new lever and spring assy back on the shaft in the original position.
*Since it was a tight fit getting on, I used a crow bar and hammer to knock
it into position. So tight, in fact, that I couldn't get it on enough to put on
an E-clip. I marred the finish of the aluminum piece, but I don't care, it
works. [hihi]

DSI Cable Clip:
The part that clicks over the post had broken, so I smoothed it out and super glued a piece of sheet metal onto it to achieve the same results. Dimensions of the metal piece are approximately 5/8" x 2" and bent and slotted just big enough for the post to slide in. Basically, just bend the piece to the correct dimensions and use a dremel to make the slot.

Here are some pictures to help out. Good luck!

·
( o Y o )
5,549 Posts
I clocked mine when I did it, and after a certain distance, the whole thing slid all the way on without issue. Once you put the CFM billet piece on, did you play with it and see if twisting it towards the front of the car (much like the motor does with the cable) produces resistance and forces it back towards the back of the car when you let go?

·
I used to drive this
3,342 Posts
Wow, you used a crow bar and a hammer to put in a dsi clip. Damn. I mean, that cfm piece is beat to all hell. Wonder how long that superglue will last. The idea seems sound just needs to be refined.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It produced a little resistance when I turned it by hand, but once I drove it and tested it, it looked fine.

Yeah, had to hammer it in. The inside of the CFM piece does not have cuts for the splined shaft. It's a shame I had to do it, but... The super glue was just a temporary fix until I can fab up something nicer.

·
70 100 70 70 : (
1,977 Posts
lol.. +1 on the beat lever hahahaha, i remember when i was installing mine.. PITA!!... yes its a pretty hard fit (i used the CFM billet one)

what i did...

i put the lever in the little axle, and tightened it as hard as i could, then i took a hair dryer and heated the damn thing for about 10 minutes.. then i used a plastic hammer (or similar thing) and hit it like 10 times.. not too hard, but not like a chick, it went in

then i realized my freakin IMRC wasnt working, so im hunting one [scratch].

you gotta check TWICE that the lever has some force against movement (spring force)

can anyone show how does this thing work, in a video?, i have 2 imrc, one moves but i dont know if its the correct movement. PLEASE show it, im sure i wont be the last one needing this[popcorn]

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it would be really hard to get a decent video of its movement since it's 95% covered up by the (stock) air intake system. maybe someone with a cai can do it.

as far as your two IMRCs, they should only move in one direction. when you rev it up to 5k (or whatever), it will pull in/retract the cable.

·
I used to drive this
3,342 Posts
When you start your car the IMRC will close, when you shut off the car it will open. So if you start you car, observe the lever and you'll see it pulled forward. Shut car off and the lever will move backwards towards the bulkhead. Depending on a tune or not will vary when the imrc will open. Also makes an audible noise when you shut the car off. Sounds like a sneeze.

Also, using a small socket and gently tapping with a hammer helps get the cfm lever on .

·
70 100 70 70 : (
1,977 Posts
ok thanks macdiesel, i had that idea, but what i really wanna see, is if the cable has like pulse, i.e. does it pull the lever like in a cycle?, one of my 2 imrc starts to pull the cable, but it works like in cycles, pulls and in less than 1 second it realeases the lever and pulls it back again in less than 1 second.. is that malfunction?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts