Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on using a 6 inch round flarred port for a 1.85 cubic foot box. I was wondering if anyone knows how long I should make the port ? The sub I'm using is a Apline type R 12.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I calculated the port length. And I tryed using a smaller port and the length is way shorter is this correct. With a 6in diamater port the legnth has to be 18in, with a 3 in port it only has to be 5.75. My box is 1.85 cubic feet Alpine recomened 36 hz. Does this seem correct ??

·
Registered
213 Posts
A 6 inch diameter port is bloody ridiculous. try 3 inch if you must go with ported, tbh tho, you get far better sound in my opinion if you go with a sealed box. Using a ported box there are too many freqs that your woofer just misses out on.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Subs

A 6 inch diameter port is bloody ridiculous. try 3 inch if you must go with ported, tbh tho, you get far better sound in my opinion if you go with a sealed box. Using a ported box there are too many freqs that your woofer just misses out on.
Not really. . . the main difference between ported and sealed boxes are the sealed boxes can hit and the bass just stop when its suppose to . .. where on the other hand the ported box lets the more deep bass tones flow smoothly out of the box. Knowing now what both would sound like with the same subs I would definetly choose a sealed box if you want a more direct clean bass hit. But if your wanting to pull up at a light and drowned another car next to you with the bass cuz they think their system is sweet then go for more of a ported box. I currently have 2 10" Pheonix Gold subs in a custom box made by me with 2 2.5" circular ports in my mustang with a 400 Watt MTX Mono Block Competition amp and with both subs bridged to the amp it can easily bump a tremendous ammount harder than many 3 and 4 10" sub boxes with 1k - 2k wattage from the amps. It is really whether you want a more of a crisp clean beat or if you want the deeper bass tones. Its all about preference as well as if you know how to wire them. : ) I can post some pictures of the box I have and my system just to show you that it is really pretty small but has potential of many bigger more pricey systems.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Not really. . . the main difference between ported and sealed boxes are the sealed boxes can hit and the bass just stop when its suppose to . .. where on the other hand the ported box lets the more deep bass tones flow smoothly out of the box. Knowing now what both would sound like with the same subs I would definetly choose a sealed box if you want a more direct clean bass hit. But if your wanting to pull up at a light and drowned another car next to you with the bass cuz they think their system is sweet then go for more of a ported box. I currently have 2 10" Pheonix Gold subs in a custom box made by me with 2 2.5" circular ports in my mustang with a 400 Watt MTX Mono Block Competition amp and with both subs bridged to the amp it can easily bump a tremendous ammount harder than many 3 and 4 10" sub boxes with 1k - 2k wattage from the amps. It is really whether you want a more of a crisp clean beat or if you want the deeper bass tones. Its all about preference as well as if you know how to wire them. : ) I can post some pictures of the box I have and my system just to show you that it is really pretty small but has potential of many bigger more pricey systems.
You're getting more power from your 400W amp than other people get from 1000W - 2000W amps? Hows that working?

·
Registered
309 Posts
because of how it is wired. Seriously I have had so many people hear my system n ask to look in my trunk and as soon as they do they r like "wtf where's the rest". You just really have to know a little about wiring and about building boxes. Like many websites have little things u type in wat size subs you have and it'll give you the measurements. Those measurements arent the exact measurements at all. That measurement they give you is only a good estimate, but you have a maxed out smaller size as well as larger size that you could do to get the same if not better response from your subs. Will post pics soon.

·
Registered
213 Posts
How does wiring have anything to do with it? Speaker, box and port combinations will make a difference but if your amp says 400W rms @ 2 ohm you cant wire it differently and get more power (unless you set it up at 1 ohm I suppose but I very much doubt a 400W amp would be 1 ohm stable).

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
I think he is saying that his system is as loud as a 1000watt stereo system. Don't think he means he is getting 1000 watts out of his 400 watt amp. It makes sense if all your stuff is matched up perfectly you can have a low watt loudass stereo. There is a TON more then just watts.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Yeah, that's fair enough. Still, I dont have a 2k rms amp for my sub but I'm pretty sure if I did I could get it to sound louder than I could get my 500 rms amp to sound.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Yes it would take less work for a 2000 watt sub to sound loud then a 400. But if the 400 watt is matched right and wired right and in the perfect volume box it can be crazy loud.

·
Registered
309 Posts
i think focusboy5 understands where i'm coming from on the wiring. . . I'm not at all saying that it will pump 1k watts out, i'm saying sound wise. . .

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Yea it will SOUND like a 1000 watt system but it will ACTUALLY be 400. Pretty much my sub and amp fits that perfectly. MTX 7500 400 watts rms and in the vented box I built it is ridiculous loud!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts