Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
BradWhite has a good writeup on how to bake them. I plan on blacking mine out next week sometime, in addition to the charcoal laminX films i ordered for the rear. So far paint has held up great, no chips or scratches.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Looks good I will be doing this to mine. I was going to buy the coupe grill but this looks easy enough and much cheaper. I wonder how it would look body color (Vista Blue) or maybe a satin black?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Thanks for the how-to, mate! I messed mine up a little bit, but I think it's a good first-attempt:

·
Registered
395 Posts
what were the mistakes you've made? (you said you messed it up)

I'm probably going to do this soon, but I'd wanna get some more advice first :]
Look in that photo. You can see the defect. Below and to the left of the emblem. There are rough spots along the lower edge, but if you take a look at the photo from Thatsmrgimp2u, it's super smooth.

It's cheaper to do it yourself, but easier to buy a replacement one sold in black online. I paid $90, but ended up finding one less than $50 months later.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I was lookin thru the net and found that rockauto has new grilles for around $45 +sh

·
coffee, have some
5,971 Posts
*Moved to Second Generation Ford Focus (2008-2011)

·
Registered
24 Posts
has anyone tried using black plastidip on the chrome grille piece? I did this a few weeks ago on my buddy's 07 mazda 3 grille on the chrome piece and emblem and its held up pretty good. No prep just cleaned the chrome with rubbing alcohol and sprayed a few light coats.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I did mine with DupliColor gloss black.

I did the fog light bezels with the same color.

Do you completely sand all of the chrome off or rough it up?
I used 220 grit sandpaper sanding the ENTIRE surface, and then etching primer -> 3 coats of primer, and at least 3 coats of paint, usually about 4-5 coats of paint.

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
Looks great, got to try the re-badge, I'm thinking body color grill and F.O.C.U.S. logo. with the "S" being red, I have an S model so it would be kind of cool

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, thanks for the how-to! Also, where did you get those letters on the lower grid? That looks awesome, I would love to add that to my car :) Thanks again for the thread!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I wanted to do this to my '08 Focus coupe, however didn't like the idea of it being permanent, so I ordered some carbon fiber vinyl on Amazon (cheaper than paint). Hoping it turns out nice looking, plus it won't be permanent if I ever change my mind!

21 - 40 of 41 Posts