Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
FocusInCali said:
Good job! I'm sure Scott will add this to the FAQ.

What did the sub box and cover cost you?
I paid $80USD (fellow member) for the sub box, and $20USD (svtsalvage) for the sub cover.

Thanks for the comments [thumb]!

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
So does the other cover go over that one or are you leaving it open like that? If its the first one I'd like to see a picture of it in its enclosed state. But man...sweet how-to I was looking to find how to convert the box. Now I know! Thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
MISVTfocus said:
So does the other cover go over that one or are you leaving it open like that? If its the first one I'd like to see a picture of it in its enclosed state. But man...sweet how-to I was looking to find how to convert the box. Now I know! Thanks a bunch.
My sub cover should be coming in the mail in the next couple of days. Once I install it, I will add a picture to this thread. Might be a week or so.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Nice work. Looks great.

Did you also look at the JL Audio Stealthbox for the Focus? Was your setup cheaper? The Stealthbox looks pretty sweet. Has anyone installed a Stealthbox? How is it?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
shooga said:
Nice work. Looks great.

Did you also look at the JL Audio Stealthbox for the Focus? Was your setup cheaper? The Stealthbox looks pretty sweet. Has anyone installed a Stealthbox? How is it?
Ya, I looked at it...not for very long. The price is around $400-600 USD I believe. There is no way I would pony up that much cash. This setup cost me:

Stock 8" Enclosure - $100 CDN (shipped)
Materials for Install - $15 CDN
Rockford Fosgate P2 Punch 10" Sub - $100 CDN (good deal mind you)
Wiring Kit for Amp - $75 CDN
Install - $75 CDN (Including speaker wire for sub)
Sub Cover - $50 CDN ($20 USD for cover, $21USD shipping to Canada)

Total Cost (not including Amp) = $415 CDN

That is a LOT cheaper than it would be for the JL Stealthbox, and it will still look awesome (this $415 includes wiring kit and install). Speaking of which, I still haven't received the sub cover, I'm hoping today, but maybe early next week (it was sent USPS).

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
FocusInCali said:
That's around $345 US
Right, but I had other costs in there...if you look at just the cost of the sub, box, and modification costs, then it cost me $265 CDN or $220 USD. This is a lot less than I would have paid for the JL Stealthbox.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Very nice!!! Definately worthy of sticky status I think :) I will do this mod myself, just printed it out. Now I have a project for next weekend!! hehe

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Well, I got the sub cover in last week and managed to finish up this weekend. I added a picture of the finished install. It seems that the colors differ slightly depending on whether the car came with the sub or not (the sub cover is a slightly different color), but I think it still looks good. Just the stock look I was going for. I also added a picture of the "adapter" I used to mount the sub.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I have a 5 door SVTF and my enclosure is alot different from the one you show. Does anyone know why that might be? I was going to try exactly waht you did, but none of that would work on mine. I can post pics of mine tomorrow if anyone is interested, and see if anyone has ideas for mine.
Thanks
Scott

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Here is my enclosure that doesn't look like any of them in the "how to" articles. There is a big opening above (where the wire runs up to the amp) and to the left of the woofer. The back of mine also looks different.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Wow, you weren't kidding, that does look different. I can see a few problems here...

1. The two openings on top, you would have to seal somehow...either wood or fiberglass I'm thinking.
2. You can't use the cap on the back of the sub cause you don't have a cone there...
3. It looks like the volume of air is less than the other one, it might not be enough for a 10".

Honestly, I would just recommend going to www.svtsalvage.com and buying a new enclosure, it should fit the same (but look into this first). Sorry I couldn't help more, good luck.

PS. Can you scale down those pictures? They make the thread really hard to read [;)].

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I will check with SVT salvage. This enclosure is only about 3 inches deep, and so far I can't find a way to fit a 10" Alpine type S in there.
I will try to scale the pics down.
Thanks
Scott

1 - 20 of 103 Posts