Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey-

just wanted to throw this out as a possible addition to the how-to section. a lot of people have asked this recently, so i thought this would help. here's the instructions for those of us dumb enough to pull our needles off when playing with gauge lay-overs.

1) fuel: go fill the tank. now you know the guage should be on "full," right? so stick it on full

2) temp: most focii that i know of have the temp. needle straight up at operating temp. so just go for a nice drive, and stick it vertical.

3) tach: put the digital readout in "test" mode (i'll explain this at the bottom of this post). scan through your options until you get to the tach. raise the RPMs until you get a reading you can find easily on the tach (i.e. multiples of 1000). now just stick the needle on to match the tach. this may take a couple of tries, so be patient. NOTE: IT WILL NOT WORK TO JUST STICK THE NEEDLE AT "0" WHEN THE CAR IS OFF. DON'T ASK ME WHY, IT JUST DOESN'T.

4) speedo: find a nice stretch of road that will allow you to concentrate more on your speedo. if you have cruise control, it will help a lot. again, set the digital readout to "test" mode. find the readout for MPH or KPH, whichever you prefer. get the car at a consistent speed that you can easily find on the speedo (just like you did for the tach). stick on the needle and you're done. again, this is difficult (esp. without cruise control), so take your time and be patient.

Mike

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
on a scale of 1-10 (1 being an oil change, 10 being an engine rebuild) i'd label this a possible 4, mainly because it takes some delicacy and patience.

to just calibrate the needles took me about 30 min (not including th trip to the gas station), mainly because i had to redo the tach about 5 times before it was right (or close enough).

btw, i stated in the post that i'd explain how to get into "test" mode on the digital readout, and then i never did. you might want to add that, or you can just add this:

TEST MODE: the digital odometer in your car can actually serve multiple functions when in "test" mode. it'll tell you your speed (in either KPH or MPH), RPM, engine temp., and a several other nice bits of data that you might prefer to see in digital form. to put your odometer into this "test" mode:

1) with the car off and the key out of the ignition, push and hold the trip odometer reset button

2) start the car (or just turn the key to the "on" position) while still holding the reset button

3) after a few seconds, the odometer will read "test." you may let go of the resert button at this point.

4) use the reset button to toggle through all the choices. they aren't labeled, so a little common sense is needed. (i.e. if one choice reads anywhere between 650-800 at idle, that's probably your tach)

5) "test" mode will continue until the car is shut off. once the car is restarted, the odometer will go back to the original odometer screen you're familiar with viewing. NOTE: EACH TIME YOU ENTER "TEST" MODE, YOUR TRIP ODOMETER WILL RESET ITSELF! the regular odometer, of course, will not be reset.

Mike

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
sorry but there is a problem w/ this, but i believe on almost all foci the digital and needle meters will read different, i cant say that this would make them any more accurate than they are from the factory but i guess its better than if they were WAAAAAY off

·
Focus Enthusiast
604 Posts
i have a problem with my fuel gauge reading... I filled the tank up and put the needle on 'F'... when I turn the car off, the needle doesn't fall to 'E' like it should. Anyone have suggestions?

I did try to back the needle off the spindle a little, but doesn't work right - It wants to fall way below the 'E' mark.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Also, if you do the gas trick. DO NOT TOP OFF. If you top off the tank you are going to overfill.

·
Registered
7 Posts
hey-

just wanted to throw this out as a possible addition to the how-to section. a lot of people have asked this recently, so i thought this would help. here's the instructions for those of us dumb enough to pull our needles off when playing with gauge lay-overs.

1) fuel: go fill the tank. now you know the guage should be on "full," right? so stick it on full

2) temp: most focii that i know of have the temp. needle straight up at operating temp. so just go for a nice drive, and stick it vertical.

3) tach: put the digital readout in "test" mode (i'll explain this at the bottom of this post). scan through your options until you get to the tach. raise the RPMs until you get a reading you can find easily on the tach (i.e. multiples of 1000). now just stick the needle on to match the tach. this may take a couple of tries, so be patient. NOTE: IT WILL NOT WORK TO JUST STICK THE NEEDLE AT "0" WHEN THE CAR IS OFF. DON'T ASK ME WHY, IT JUST DOESN'T.

4) speedo: find a nice stretch of road that will allow you to concentrate more on your speedo. if you have cruise control, it will help a lot. again, set the digital readout to "test" mode. find the readout for MPH or KPH, whichever you prefer. get the car at a consistent speed that you can easily find on the speedo (just like you did for the tach). stick on the needle and you're done. again, this is difficult (esp. without cruise control), so take your time and be patient.

Mike
Ty bro u the only one that helped me :D i didnt belive that so you can calibrate but I tried and it worked [cheers]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts