Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen this talked about before, but how would I go about hitting 200 WHP in a MkII focus? I have a completely stock manual 05' Zetec Focus, with a healthy-ish engine (Few issues like a misfire in the 3rd cylinder). Once the engine has the spark-plugs replaced how would I go about hitting 200 WHP. I've heard that the best first "Mod" to do to these car is replace the "Lifetime Air Filter" and replace it with a less restrictive air filter. Car currently has 140 HP (Has lost some over the years) so I need to gain roughly 60 HP to reach my goal of 200whp.
Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've seen this talked about before, but how would I go about hitting 200 WHP in a MkII focus? I have a completely stock manual 05' Zetec Focus, with a healthy-ish engine (Few issues like a misfire in the 3rd cylinder). Once the engine has the spark-plugs replaced how would I go about hitting 200 WHP. I've heard that the best first "Mod" to do to these car is replace the "Lifetime Air Filter" and replace it with a less restrictive air filter. Car currently has 140 HP (Has lost some over the years) so I need to gain roughly 60 HP to reach my goal of 200whp.
Any help is appreciated.
That's a lot to ask for the 2.0L but I'm sure it could probably be done, is that what it is or is it a 2.3L? Is this the duratec at all?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm sure you could actually probably get it done, but you'd be talking about going full in on some pretty serious cams, full exhaust, tune and maybe intake. It would just be a lot of work, because since these are a solid cam-roller setup, you'd have to definitely have a machine shop set the valve lash if you were to do so.

Idk how cliche it is on here, but having completed a 2.5L swap, I really can't imagine why anyone wouldn't do it if you're even thinking about more power. At least for the US versions, it's a gain of 50hp over the 2.0L. With an intake, exhaust, and tune, 200hp is super easy. I'm not as familiar with the mk2 since we didn't get it here, even though mine is an '07, it's still a mk1. But I can't imagine that it would be that much different.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
2.5 swap , you dont have a Zetec 2005 would be a 2.0 Duratec , I have a few 2.5 over 210 whp and some 2.0 over 200 NA

Tom
I do in fact have a 2.0 Duratec HE engine in my car. (I just discovered it was the car's second engine) I have fixed the misfire so the car is capable of running without issue. How much would a flash tune cost?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Why 200HP? Easiest way is to add boost. You can do that on stock internals with the Zetec.

I'd look into your misfire before doing anything. Have you swapped the coil pack?
Misfire is fixed. Swapped 2 coil packs+Plugs- did nothing. Got race Spark Plugs and the engine is running without issue. Why 200hp?- Because it is within reach and possibly in budget.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm sure you could actually probably get it done, but you'd be talking about going full in on some pretty serious cams, full exhaust, tune and maybe intake. It would just be a lot of work, because since these are a solid cam-roller setup, you'd have to definitely have a machine shop set the valve lash if you were to do so.

Idk how cliche it is on here, but having completed a 2.5L swap, I really can't imagine why anyone wouldn't do it if you're even thinking about more power. At least for the US versions, it's a gain of 50hp over the 2.0L. With an intake, exhaust, and tune, 200hp is super easy. I'm not as familiar with the mk2 since we didn't get it here, even though mine is an '07, it's still a mk1. But I can't imagine that it would be that much different.
From which focus is this 2.5L engine from (MK 2.5?)? We have a car called the XR5 (basically a focus) over here that has a 2.5L 5CYL Volvo turbo'd engine in it. People I know have experience with these engines and they make an easy 166 kw (225 HP) stock. Should I swap or retain the cars current reliability? This is the dilemma I am currently in.

·
Registered
72 Posts
From which focus is this 2.5L engine from (MK 2.5?)? We have a car called the XR5 (basically a focus) over here that has a 2.5L 5CYL Volvo turbo'd engine in it. People I know have experience with these engines and they make an easy 166 kw (225 HP) stock. Should I swap or retain the cars current reliability? This is the dilemma I am currently in.
That's not the motor we're talking about though. The 2.5L duratec is basically just your existing 2.0L except more displacement. All of your electronics would run one.

Here, they put them in a bunch of stuff. The transit, escape, fusion, Mazda6, Mazda3. For the Fords I think that'd be the Mondeo and Kuga.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2004 ZX3 SVT EE 173k miles. 2004 ZX3 SVT 194k miles
4,134 Posts
I have a 2nd gen Focus, I don't think you guys got them over in the states. I don't think my 2.0L Duratec could handle that even though it does only have 75,000 kms on it (Engine was replaced at 200,000kms)
The engine only has 75k on it or that is how long the replacement engine has been in the car?

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
I have a 2nd gen Focus, I don't think you guys got them over in the states. I don't think my 2.0L Duratec could handle that even though it does only have 75,000 kms on it (Engine was replaced at 200,000kms)
We had the same engine. In reality either go forced induction or do a 2.5 swap.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
With a header, cams, tune , on a 2.0 it will cost alot of money for little reward. Turbo will be the best bang for the buck imho and the stock engine can handle it fine if you can find someone to tune it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts