Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 40 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
update

i'm in the middle of painting my grill right now. i used 280 grit on chrome, going to do 4 layers of primer, 400 grit on that, then like 6-8 of flat black, with no clear coat.
i hope thats right? if not let me know before i mess something up too bad lol

i still cant get two of the left leds to work properly. theres four there all together, and two work all the time, but the other two turn on only when they want to. any ideas where the loose connection might be?

·
Registered
316 Posts
im waiting for them to make those with a chrome background they wont look right on mine

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
im waiting for them to make those with a chrome background they wont look right on mine
i bought these because they werent chrome lol.

i painted the grill flat black last night

Only gripe so far is that it looks like i need to send the left one back, i cant figure out where the loose connection is on two of the leds. [thumbd]

·
Registered
316 Posts
well i have chrome mirrors since its the sel so it wont match at all i have more chrome than black

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
well i have chrome mirrors since its the sel so it wont match at all i have more chrome than black
BradWhite nite-shaded his chrome mirror caps (he has the se chrome) to make it look like the blacked chrome 09 coupe grill. i like chrome, but i dont think it has its place on a focus.

·
Registered
115 Posts
i'm in the middle of painting my grill right now. i used 280 grit on chrome, going to do 4 layers of primer, 400 grit on that, then like 6-8 of flat black, with no clear coat.
i hope thats right? if not let me know before i mess something up too bad lol

i still cant get two of the left leds to work properly. theres four there all together, and two work all the time, but the other two turn on only when they want to. any ideas where the loose connection might be?
were you able to find out where the loose connection may be coming from? i bought a new camera so i should be able to update with some nice pics with mines running the hid's soon.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
were you able to find out where the loose connection may be coming from? i bought a new camera so i should be able to update with some nice pics with mines running the hid's soon.
i had work today so really didnt get the chance, my hids should be in tomorrow so ill take the head lamp out tomorrow when i do that.

i ended up doing 12 coats of black on the grill lol.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
about 6 hours total lol. i took my time on it since it was the first time ive done something like that. after i finished a coat id put the next one on 15 minutes later. i didnt clear coat it because i wanted it to look flat flat black.

·
Registered
115 Posts
about 6 hours total lol. i took my time on it since it was the first time ive done something like that. after i finished a coat id put the next one on 15 minutes later. i didnt clear coat it because i wanted it to look flat flat black.
ahhh i see, it looks great though

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I want to know how i can adjust the levels on the headlights i have the same set.... my passanger side is too low...

theres a screw on top of the headlamp, you just turn it one way or the other to make it higher or lower, i forget which side does what though. i just used my finger for it. your old headlamps have the exact same screw in the exact same spot by the way.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Any idea why the lowbeams have that asymmetrical 'S' shaped cutoff for both lights?
i have the exact same result on mine.
But then again, I had reflectors before

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Any idea why the lowbeams have that asymmetrical 'S' shaped cutoff for both lights?
i have the exact same result on mine.
But then again, I had reflectors before
if you take off the black moisture sealer, take out the actual bulb and look into the projector outwards, you can see the metal cutoff is not perfectly straight, it is more like this (exaggerated in my awful drawing lol)
___
.....\____

^^ignore the dots, i had to put them in there so the picture would show up

to be honest i'm really not sure why its like that... i know ive seen posts of people with older models taking apart their projectors and filing it down so its straight, but i dont know why it was made like that

·
Registered
167 Posts
if you take off the black moisture sealer, take out the actual bulb and look into the projector outwards, you can see the metal cutoff is not perfectly straight, it is more like this (exaggerated in my awful drawing lol)
___
.....\____

^^ignore the dots, i had to put them in there so the picture would show up

to be honest i'm really not sure why its like that... i know ive seen posts of people with older models taking apart their projectors and filing it down so its straight, but i dont know why it was made like that
its quite pronounced at the cutoff (once again probably because i havent had projector lights before), but thanks for the explanation! i was just worried it was because of my own installation [pray]
i think i'll pass on opening up my headlights for now.
but for future reference, how hard is that anyways? and, is that black sticky stuff just simply a moisture sealer? (and not some epoxy i'd have to bake to remove) [idea]

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
if you want to get HIDs, you need an h13 harness and a h9 bulb, i just realized that the hard way. if you already bought a h9 kit, just go buy a h13 hid harness online. you dont need the one with the relay or fuse or anything. if that doesnt make sense i can be a little more specific.

·
Registered
167 Posts
So after having used and read about that strange projector cutoff, i (finally) realize its intentionally there so as to keep from blinding oncoming traffic (north american).

I had that same discovery about the h13 harness --> h13 relay --> headlights --> H9 bulbs, just too late.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
So after having used and read about that strange projector cutoff, i (finally) realize its intentionally there so as to keep from blinding oncoming traffic (north american).

I had that same discovery about the h13 harness --> h13 relay --> headlights --> H9 bulbs, just too late.
relay? i didnt use a relay.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Oh that was because of my drl's. I was having flicker without the relay and capacitor

·
Registered
55 Posts
So you have the HIDs in those projectors? How do you like them? Could you get some pics of the light output/cutoff. Would you recommend the combination of the HIDs with those projectors?

MCM

21 - 40 of 201 Posts