Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen the question asked a few times, but I haven't seen anyone answer how to get DRL's working on the 2006's. It's relay 21 and it's unfortunately located on the cabin fuse panel. You'll need to remove the lower trim piece from the dash on the drivers side. Then remove the two screws from the front of the fuse panel and push in the tabs on the side of the panel while pusing up and out. You'll need a 5 pin relay such as Ford part FOAB-14B192-AA. I got a bag of four on ebay for $10. Put it in the empty slot for relay 21 (lower left hand corner on the relay part of the panel). Put it all back together and you've got DRL's.

The hardest part is getting the fuse panel out, hard because it required getting in an akward position to remove it.

Once it's installed the light go on at a reduced brightness when you start the car. Move to the headlight position and the lights go to full brightness and the parking lights go on as well of course. The once catch is you can't do fogs only any more. I'm sure there's some way to hack it, but I don't know what it is.

I decided to do this because I live in a semi-rural area and often drive on roads that don't even have a line in the middle. I figure it improves my visability to others. Yes, I know I could just turn the lights on. I like this solution much better though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2006 ZX4 as well and this did not work. I saw on another site that you can look at your VIN # and see if in fact this hack will work. However, that was all the information provided. There was no explanation on what to look for in the VIN.

I'll keep researching. I need to enable DRL as I am moving to Canada.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Parts needed for DRL

There are 3 things needed to enable factory DRL (Headlights at reduced power) in the late 2006 and 2007 Focus (2008 and later is controlled by the SJB/GEM):
1. DRL relay (passenger compartment fuse box (CJB)--R21, gray mini relay, Ford 5C3Z-14N089-A)
2. DRL fuse (passenger compartment fuse box (CJB)--Fuse 44 15A)
3. A black 5-pin Low Beam relay (under-hood Fuse/Relay box (BJB)--R6 black micro relay, Ford F5TZ-14N089-B)
If you have a US Focus, you probably don't have 1 or 2, and you may have a 4-pin (gray) low beam relay that will need to be replaced with a 5-pin.

For a Focus built 12/05 and earlier, both relays are in the under-hood (BJB) Fuse/Relay box and both are micro relays.
DRL relay is C1000, (can be 4 or 5 pin)
Low-Beam relay is C1049, (must be black 5-pin).
The Low Beam 20A Fuse also covers the DRL and there should be a DRL resistor wire under the fuse box.

The relays are just standard 20A (40A OK) multi-function relays you can source from any parts store, the DRL relay can be either 4-pin or 5-pin (5th pin has N/C), but the low beam must be a 5-pin (when de-energized, it sends power to the DRL thru the 5th contact).
01/2006 & 2007 Fuse/Relay Locations , DRL Wiring Diagram
12/05 & earlier Fuse/Relay Locations, DRL Wiring Diagram

·
Registered
13 Posts
Is something missing or not...?

There are 3 things needed to enable factory DRL (Headlights at reduced power) in the late 2006 and 2007 Focus (2008 and later is controlled by the SJB/GEM):

The Low Beam 20A Fuse also covers the DRL and there should be a DRL resistor wire under the fuse box.
If the resistor is what makes the headlights dim to half-brightness as DRLs then it is CRITICAL that it is present; RIGHT?

How/where/what does one check UNDER the fuse box for this mystery "resistor wire"? Why would it be present ALWAYS if the car wasn't originally vetted to have DRLs?

And, lastly, doesn't this CRITICAL RESISTOR make for "FOUR THINGS NEEDED" (vs. THREE)?

·
Registered
4 Posts
You are correct, and I discovered that the resistor was not there in my 2006 and gave up. The resistor wire is missing from the under-hood fuse box and is not listed on the Ford wiring diagram or on Ford parts. Sorry. (I assumed the resistor would be there, or that the late 2006 Focus (that I have) used PWM from the GEM, like my 2005 Escape does.)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well...Etbland: You were spot on! I mean your protocol for activating DRL's on my 2006 Focus ZXW!

I ordered the specific relay you cited via Amazon. It came yesterday and I installed it in the DRL spot under the dash. Voila! At 130K miles: My used Focus FINALLY has DRLs!!!

For those who scoff: This means many fewer bulbs to burn out and replace! Only the headlights at 60% give substantial daylight visibility to oncoming traffic.

Meanwhile, the local Ford dealer here in the Shenandoah Valley--"John Boy Country"--wanted to charge me $120.00 to "hook up my car to their computer." They "thought" they could access some function and "turn them on" for me...!

After that joke of a response, I tried calling a Ford dealer in Windsor, Ontario, Canada who told me matter-of-factly that the "module" I needed was no longer available from Ford and I'd have to hunt down some after-market solution for DRLs! At least the Canadians were professional enough to admit they had no solution for which they weren't going to charge me!!!!

Ford should be ashamed of such representatives and service support!

My auto insurance is up for annual renewal. I inquired if I'd qualify for any discount for having DRLs: "No".

"Many Thanks!" again, Etbland. Your advice proved reliable and invaluable to solve the mystery!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts