Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Hon-duh Rider
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay. I searched and read the only result I could find for the removal of an 05 instrument cluster removal, and it makes the process sound really complicated. So this past weekend I decided to do my part and provide a "How To". Hope this helps.

Tools needed:
8mm Socket, 7mm Socket, Phillips Screwdriver

First:
Take an 8mm socket and remove the 4 bolts holding the driver's side lower panel. You can just let the panel dangle unless you want to remove the Hood Release and the OBD Connector.

Second:
Remove the phillips screw under the headlight switch. Grab the trim around the cluster and pull. It's held in by clips. Before you pull the trim out too far, you have to unplug the Trunk Release button. You also have to pop loose the upper half of the steering column trim off which is connected to the Cluster trim.

Third:
Take the 7mm socket and remove the 4 screws holding in the cluster. Once removed you can pull out the Cluster.

Finally:
Unplug the cluster. Hint.. there is a thin black piece that swings to allow plug removal.

There you go.. DONE.

Hope you find this How To helpful in removing your Instrument Cluster.

*mods, if you could sticky this.. it would be appreciated.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Nice work [:)]

·
Registered
262 Posts
After the cluster is out, what is involved as far as changing the black trim piece under the clear lens? Changing it to a silver one like the ST's have?

·
Sticker Whore
18,739 Posts
AWESOME!!! thank you for doing that, really really helpful!!!

·
Hon-duh Rider
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JayH, dunno.. i couldnt figure that part out so i went ahead and put everything back together and figured i'd do it some other time.

·
Sticker Whore
18,739 Posts
next time you do it can you take some better pics of those clips that hold it in? are they really easy to break or when you tug are they ok?

·
Hon-duh Rider
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You'll see the clip that pivets. just pop it loose with your fingernail and it'll move outta the way. Unless you are rough with it, i dont think it'll break.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Add a cluster with tach . . . ?

I have an '05 base model with no options but A/C and ABS. Love the 5-speed but no tach feels like a big sacrifice. How hard is it to get/replace the base gauge cluster with the unit that has a tachometer? Does Ford sell them? Any ideas on cost? Does the wiring in the above diagram include RPM info, or would the wiring have to be replaced too?

Thanks folks . . . great site . . .[driving]

·
Registered
191 Posts
Its a good idea to remove the neg side of the battery, just incase you drop something or bang something. You dont want your airbag going off in your face that might hurt!

·
Fords suck
4,412 Posts
About time someone did a proper how to for us, lol. Thanks, and is it really as easy as it looks?

·
Registered
109 Posts
yeah thanks you for that awesome demo. some ppl that i talk to they say that it rele hard.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My clear cover is stained, maybe from the DPO's* use of Armorall or something. Is that clear part available, or is there something that can polish it out? Great how-to post.
*damn previous owner

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
My clear cover is stained, maybe from the DPO's* use of Armorall or something. Is that clear part available, or is there something that can polish it out? Great how-to post.
*damn previous owner
Get with our vendors, they should get it, it's a current Ford piece. I bought mine from Steve and the whole thing was around $20 iirc, and got the silver SVT version, which will work for you.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Get with our vendors, they should get it, it's a current Ford piece. I bought mine from Steve and the whole thing was around $20 iirc, and got the silver SVT version, which will work for you.
i jst put a tach cluster in my car tonight. i noticed when i got it out of the box yesterday is is scratched where my odometer is. you say get from our vendors or steve (?). how to remove it? does the other come with instructions on how to remove & install the new cover? also i got the parking break light staying on. i painted over the traction & abs light....lol

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the How To guide! Made getting the IC out easy as. My question is this: Once you have the instrument cluster out of the dash, how do you remove the light bulbs from the back of the IC to replace them? Below is a picture of the bulbs in my '07 Focus SE.
Thanks in advance!
Kiwi

Attachments

·
Registered
177 Posts
Thanks for the How To guide! Made getting the IC out easy as. My question is this: Once you have the instrument cluster out of the dash, how do you remove the light bulbs from the back of the IC to replace them? Below is a picture of the bulbs in my '07 Focus SE.
Thanks in advance!
Kiwi
I´m also very interested in this. One of the bulbs from my cluster is gone, so I thought about replacing them all.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
That grey knob in the picture is a twist & remove bulb holder.

Pliers might be needed, fingers aren't always small enough (grin).

Be gentle with it, the small tabs make the contact to the PC Film. (printed circuit on thin plastic)

Luck!

·
Registered
64 Posts
i painted over the traction & abs light....lol
Did you paint over them on the circuit board or the little round "windows" in the overlay? Did this thoroughly black them out? The tell-tale lights are LEDs surface-mounted onto the IC, so it's not like you can just remove bulbs.

Since I don't see it mentioned elsewhere, to remove the back plastic cover, aside from the clips, there are two T-10 headed screws that need to be removed.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts