Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so here i am on my day off tracing through the line of possibilities of why the car is running on two cylinders, i checked resistance on the coil and determined the old one was bad and got a new one, still have a P0352 engine code and car still running on 2 cylinders. So im looking at the realy, its good, i go down the wires.....and i see this

Attachments

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
hard to tell but theres a huge hole burned in the plastic conduit and alot of the insulation is gone off the wires, the car has been to ford and they told me they didnt know what was wrong w/ it and wouldnt service it because they saw i had UDPs and the last time it had been in they noted i had an intake........they then advised i check the waterpump.........yup that looks like a waterpump to me..... pretty sure this is the problem because as i was examining the wires while the engine was running, i put tension on them and the engine revved and smoothed out as im assuming 2 &3 began to fire

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
They will be a bear to repair down in there, but at least you found it.

·
Registered
274 Posts
If you didnt know it there is a thing called tungsten coated wire or TFG.The wire is heat rated to like 1600 degrees. Then theres also heat tape which is a heat rated tape of fiberglass and other insulating material.Or redirect from the heat source. Heat wire and tape can be picked up at most electrical supply houses. Good call on the find. It shows some lazy ass didnt feel like going the extra mile for you.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
nice find. i'm not sure if i would have noticed that or not. good luck with the fix [thumb]

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i tried isolating the wires w/ some liquid electrical tape, and by singling the burnt ones out from the rest, it doesnt seem to be having any result as it id when i just "lifted" on the whole harness, im gonna see what ol focussalvage can do for me in the realms of replacing that harness

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'd also suggest that you try to find out what caused that. Something seems to be
hotter than is should. The burning seems to be a consequence of something else - the root cause.

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
that i do know, here in Texas fire ants are a major problem, they are attracted to food, water, and electricity.....awhile back i had a power wire that was going to my hardwired radar detector, A/F and Boost gauge that they ate away the insulation to, as i was working on the car one day the hot wire grounded and got glowing red hot, i reached down and grabbed it to stop the grounding, which worked but burnt the EFF out of my hand for a long time, i didnt have any problems from it (now that i know the extent of the damage) for months

·
Mtn. Dew
7,223 Posts
The wires probably melted on the EGR, which they are right next to. I just found the same thing on Ash's car, only ours are melted worse. I don't see any bare wire though.

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
I'm gonna go check mine now!!.. LOL, Heat tape is good.

·
Registered
789 Posts
where exactly is this wire bundle at? i can't tell from the pic.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Now that I see that, im curious myself. Do I have to worry about any of this since I keeped my car stock and never placed any new electrical systems in it?

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
its right nrxt to and below the airbox, or where it would be. Im pretty sure mine were melted by the power wire i had

·
Illegal Alien
4,586 Posts
good eyes! Seem funny that the people who are "qualified" didn't find the prob... dumb asses!

let us know how you resolve the prob!

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well i was going to replace the whole harness, but seeing as how it runs uninterrupted through the firewall to the rear of the car and then back under it, i might just do some super neat splicing onto the engine harness, havnt decided yet which i will do 100% yet

·
AKA Toyotech
4,041 Posts
just splice it all. harness' are not fun. lol, i hate doing them..blah. def solder and wrap

so this means you may actually have a driving focus again? this was the problem all along? and u never told me...damn, i woulda be out there once i had free time to try and help long ago.

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i didnt know it was somthing so simple, hah had i known this (and this is what REALLY pisses me off) i would not have sold the turbo and tranny and just fixed this shit. But w/ Ford basically telling me to go to hell, and i had work and couldnt find the problem, i decided it bets to get a daily beater while i work on the car...........then i moved hah. oh well hopefully like you said i will have adriving focus soon

·
AKA Toyotech
4,041 Posts
bout damn time...woohoo. when was the last time it was washed?

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ummm....... cary the 1...add the 4.........about a year and a half ago........[paranoid]

1 - 20 of 21 Posts