Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got my Steeda rear sway bar in today. All the vids and posts made this seem like a 20 minute job.

HELL NAW

My Focus Sedan is on jack stands, the rear wheels/suspension are hanging low.

I got the ends off...took a lot of torque, and got the bottom bolts out for the brackets, again, took a lot of torque. I had to hammer a spanner wrench to break the bolts loose.

How do I get the top bracket bolts off? They are on just as hard as the bottom ones and there is no room to get any leverage or torque. My drill spins out, my 3/8 drive doesn’t break it free, and there isn’t any real room to hammer a spanner wrench.

Ive ordered a 16 inch breaker bar to hopefully help. My drill is worthless and won’t fit without an extension.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I think you may have answered it yourself... Looks like with the right length extension you could get a socket over it, then use a breaker bar if you need more torque than a ratchet handle will let you apply.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, sounds like I need more leverage.

I hit it with some WD-40 this morning to let it soak and will give it a shot when my breaker bar arrives today from Amazon. If not, I have some penetrating oil arriving Saturday.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yes, I live in a high humidity area. I'm not seeing any rust under the vehicle, though.

EDIT - The above shot is not of my Focus, it is a screen grab from the CJ Pony video.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Got the bolts off and the rear sway bar free today.

I sprayed the remaining two bolts with regular WD-40 this morning and let it sit while I was at work.

About 10 hours later, I took a 13mm deep socket with a 12” long 3/8 drive breaker bar. A good tug or two and the bolts broke free. They were still in there pretty good so I had to use the breaker bar until they were loose enough to get at with a ratchet.

Now the stock sway bar hangs loose. There is not enough play on either end to remove it.

In order to get enough play to get the stock sway bar off, I had to jack up one of the tires. Afterwards the sway bar came off from one end and then the other.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Do sway bar installs with the weight of the vehicle on wheels (i.e., on ramps, suspension loaded). There should be no pre-load on the bar in this condition. You are fighting every step of the way doing the RSB with the rear wheels off the ground.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finished up today. Was the same process except in reverse. Had to jack up one side again to get the bar on.

Put some white grease on the threads of the hardware to keep from locking up, still used a breaker bar to get everything snug, though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I put this same bar on. You are really going to like it. Now I've found out how little bolstering my seats have!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts