Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So say i want to buy some new tires for my nearly new car.
And i have TPMS. So do i just go to the dealer?
or can like Goodyear factory stores do a good job?
Is the work a no brainer, anyone with a GED can do it. OR... Is it fraught with problems? And I would really want an expert to do the tires?

And does the same TPMS have to be reset even though it is in the same location? With a new tire?

·
BACON?
3,170 Posts
its easy anybody can do it. They just need to know how to position the wheels on the machine. anybody at a tire shop should be capable of knowing the correct way to dismount and tire with tpms.

to remove the tire put the valve at the neck(12 o'clock), to install but the valve at the 6 o'clock position.

·
Registered
241 Posts
And does the same TPMS have to be reset even though it is in the same location? With a new tire?
If you are re-using your current TPMS sensors on the new tires and/or wheels, then you will not need to reset the TPMS system. The sensors are not tied to a specific location, cuz yuo can rotate your tires without issues.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I see you're in southeast Wisconsin. Come to Big Bear Tire in Oconomowoc. We can swap everything over and make sure the system is working perfectly. It will be done right and for a very reasonable price.

·
Registered
38 Posts
its easy anybody can do it. They just need to know how to position the wheels on the machine. anybody at a tire shop should be capable of knowing the correct way to dismount and tire with tpms.

to remove the tire put the valve at the neck(12 o'clock), to install but the valve at the 6 o'clock position.
Correct on that it is simple to do, Not correct on position .... you want the TPMS Valve type approx 2 inches counter clockwise from your dismount start and want the sensor 2 inches clockwise of the "bead to drop center" entry when mounting. If it is the band sensor type then you will place the valve exactly 180 degrees from the same positions above!

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
All the above^^^ It's not rocket science^^^ I beleive your wheel's use the senser at the valve stem instead of the band type, where the senser is attached to the inside of the wheel w/ a band= a big hose clamp= the original one's aren't reuseable.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Correct on that it is simple to do, Not correct on position .... you want the TPMS Valve type approx 2 inches counter clockwise from your dismount start and want the sensor 2 inches clockwise of the "bead to drop center" entry when mounting. If it is the band sensor type then you will place the valve exactly 180 degrees from the same positions above!
This. It does happen occasionally, that a Tire Tech snaps a sensor, but the tire shop should replace it for you if they break it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
They didn't on mine, they jury rigged it and two weeks later their rig fell apart and I got a vibration worse than you can imagine. Dealer fixed it. Tire store wouldn't even admit they blew it, but the pieces of their jury rig were still in the tire.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They didn't on mine, they jury rigged it and two weeks later their rig fell apart and I got a vibration worse than you can imagine. Dealer fixed it. Tire store wouldn't even admit they blew it, but the pieces of their jury rig were still in the tire.
Places like that all over. The employee screws up and the manager tries to cover it up so he does not have to pay.
Places like that need to be either shaken up and fixed, or put OUT of business.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts