Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I live in Massachusetts. There are potholes all over the place all the time. Once I got my 17" rims and tires installed, I noticed a decline in fuel efficiency (dropped from 37-38 mpg a tank to 34-35 mpg). But after a few weeks, it started getting even worse. Two tanks of gas ago it dropped to 32 mpg, then the most recent one was 30. All of those tanks are 90% highway miles with A/C on.

So for the past week I've been looking at the front end of my car, and I could tell the toe-out of my front wheels was off. I brought it into NTB tonight and got an alignment (alignment programs FTW), and they said the front was at .03".

Since then, I've been getting a steady 35 mpg again. Hooray!

But my real question is how much damage did that crappy alignment do to my tires? I see no visible signs of extreme wear, but it may have been about 1,500-2,000 miles that I've driven with it at a crappy angle. I'm sure I'm over-reacting, but those tires are new! I want them to last!

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
But my real question is how much damage did that crappy alignment do to my tires? I see no visible signs of extreme wear, but it may have been about 1,500-2,000 miles that I've driven with it at a crappy angle. I'm sure I'm over-reacting, but those tires are new! I want them to last!
I doubt that it was very much and wouldn't worry about it. But it was a good catch on your part!

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
I would also be rotating your tire's too. & check the air pressure .

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
^^^ Either should shouldn't have a effect on tire wear. I would rather have -toe than + toe on a FWD car. .03 total is almost 0. .03 for each side is good on a stock bushing car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts