Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often do you need to replace coolant? persay every 21K miles?
I had to do that and also have to replace my brakes (resurface rotors and replace calipers @ 12K and replace rotors and brake pads at 21K)

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
i thought focuses came with the 100K coolant?

i replaced mine at 50k because i got a hole in a coolant line and it all leaked out.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't really know :\ all I know was that the place I took my car too told me that my coolant was insanely low and dirty (which it looked like it was) and that my brake fluid was low. So i was like sure.. eat away my wallet if it makes it safe. -.-

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
I have to already replace my rotors on my 06 with 5500 miles on it but then I again I am pretty hard on it but at 5500 miles... whatever... it shouldn't be TOO expensive.

·
Registered
11,161 Posts
Yes, check for leaks. Coolant should be good for much longer than 21k

·
Registered
114 Posts
The Scheduled Maintenance Guide that came with my '02 SVTF says to "Change green engine coolant, if equipped" at 45,000 miles, and again at 75,000 miles.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hrm so far 2 mechanics have said no leaking... Guess they both suck -.- This wouldnt have anything to do with my MPG would it? After about 3 months of having the car... my MPG kept dropping until what it is today... 180-200 miles per 3/4ths of a tank. o_O Dealership ignored the problem when I took it in along with the brake problem. Very confused.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I know what you're saying. I have had gas mileage issues with my '00 as well. When I got the car with 69,000 on it, it got around 27 city here and there. Now I'm lucky to be getting a little over 200 per 3/4's of a tank. When I drive it really easy, with fuel injector cleaner, I can get it to get about 80 per 1/4. Try running a little Lucas Fuel Injector Cleaner through it. It comes in a small bottle for $3.99 at O'Reilly Auto Parts where I work for regular customers. Good luck with the mileage, and let us know if you find any secrets as to fixing it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lucas fuel injector cleaner eh? ill go to kragen n see if i can find sumthin like that ^^ do i jus dump it in my gas tank or sumthin?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yeah, if you get Lucas fuel injector cleaner, just dump it in your gas tank right before your next fill up, or you can also use a can of Seafoam which is another fuel injector/carb. cleaner. Both of these work as an upper cylinder lube, and clean your fuel system (pump, lines, etc.) The Seafoam comes in a bigger can, and costs a bit more, but the Seafoam can be poured into the gas tank, or into the crank case oil. It's a great product too. I ran Seafoam through my '69 F100, and Lucas through my '00 ZX3, and they both work great. Just let us know how they work for you, after you've tried them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts