Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Can you give more details? Will it crank? Did you check the battery? Are you lights dims?...

How often? Until it break... never happened in the life of all my cars.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Fuel pumps can last forever. Or, they can die. Generally the main killer of fuel pumps is running the tank dry. The fuel pump is lubricated by the fuel. With no fuel the pump is severely damaged. Generally a few weeks after you ran the tank dry, the pump may fail (if it is going to).

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
2013 ford focus will not start. It has 75k miles on it
There are a myriad of reasons why a car won't start. Don't automatically assume it is a fuel supply issue but for the sake of argument and to answer your question, fuel pump failure is fairly rare. There are actually 2 fuel pumps on the MK3 Focus. The low pressure fuel pump is located inside the fuel tank and also incorporates the fuel filter and fuel gauge sender unit. As Elizabeth said, you can damage it by running it dry. Even if there is gas in the tank, I have also seen them stick after the car has sat for a long period of time. The gasoline can gum up in the pump and keep the impeller from spinning. This is easy to diagnose since you can hear the in tank fuel pump whirring when you first turn the ignition key. The high pressure DI fuel pump is on the driver's side of the engine bay next to the battery. All service on the fuel supply components are best left to qualified personnel. On the MK3 Focus, replacing the low pressure pump requires dropping the fuel tank which is a big job. (Some cars have access ports under the back seat but we are not so lucky on the MK3)

Top: High pressure DI pump
Bottom: In tank fuel pump

Attachments

·
Registered
747 Posts
I don't know about the lubricating part but I've been told that the fuel cools the fuel pump.

·
Registered
4 Posts
my 2012 with 45k miles died last night. after we towed it home, the OBD scanner shows codes P0006 and P0087. It is definitely fuel related, but I cannot find any information about it online. Heck, none of the local part stores even list a fuel pump for this new of a vehicle. Where is the access location for the fuel pump? My 2003 Mazda Protégé5 hatchback had an access panel under the back seat. I have already pulled this seat, and no access panel?!

·
Registered
321 Posts
You'll have to drop the tank to get to it. Good luck. The last time I bought one it was for my '88 Bronco and cost about $350.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have 2012 se hatch manual that had the fuel pump die on me and the tank was close to full it died at 100,000 kms got it replaced under warranty free of charge plus free multipoint inspection and complimentary oil change all on the house!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Did you have any symptoms prior to the failure? Rough idle, excessive vibration, prominent engine noise at speed (45-60mph). You'll have to let us know if it is quieter after you get it fixed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts