Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We removed the heat shields on the manifold on my 07 2.0L SE i was wondering how much will the temps go up without the heat shields on there?

It wont catch the firewall stuff on fire or anything with them off will it?

The shields just look like tin foil buti figured they are there for a reason.

I cant get my car in to get the header put on till monday so if i had to drive it i didnt want to burn up. [:(]

·
Registered
770 Posts
U should be fine. But I know a couple guys with the 2.0 who have a header and they have less clearance to remove the stock exhaust manifold out from the top than the 2.3 does. So when you put ur header on it may be a lot more difficult to install. Just a heads up.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually once i removed the cross support bar i got from FSwerks and the hea shields it looks ALOT more open.

·
has a screw loose
9,927 Posts
I've had mine off since I installed my header and haven't had anything catch on fire , but I did see some light rust building up over time and got some header coating that you brush on from Eastwood.com that keeps the rust away and suppose to keep it cooler.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well i was talking about the stock heat shields and the stock header/cat.

I figured they put the heat shields over the stock manifold for a reason and since we took em off i wasnt sure how hot the stock setup would get with em off.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well considering a cat can get up around and over 1000 degrees and theres one attached to the manifold...
i just needed to drive it for a few days and i wasnt sure how hot it would get with the heat shields off. I just drove it about 15 miles with them off then the next day i put the header on with the wrap.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Well considering a cat can get up around and over 1000 degrees and theres one attached to the manifold...
If you stomp on the go pedal, the cat will get up to about 1600*F, that was verified with a scan tool viewing live datastream. From what I understand that is the internal temp of the cat. So if you drive the car gently with the heat shield off the manifold, you should be ok.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well i guess this will be good info for future members. I was worried about it on the 8th now the header swap is done i get all the good info [scratch]

·
Registered
177 Posts
I've currently had the heat shealds off my mani-cat for months, and haven't had a problem. However I did notice the sound of something steaming one day, so I popped open the hood and saw that the condensation from the A/C pipe was slowly dripping onto the mani-cat, turning into steam as soon as it touched it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts