Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
The Professor
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much to the PZEV crap?

I don't want to wait until '05 to get the non PZEV 2.3. How much of that junk under the hood is associated with making the 2.3 a PZEV? How hard has it been to remove?[thumb]

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Re: How much to the PZEV crap?

zx3matt said:
I don't want to wait until '05 to get the non PZEV 2.3. How much of that junk under the hood is associated with making the 2.3 a PZEV? How hard has it been to remove?[thumb]
PZEV actually means a combination of SULEV-II tailpipe emissions plus ultralow (essentially zero) evaporative emissions. So, there's "junk" all over the car to make it PZEV. Of course, you're most interested in the stuff that's hanging on the engine.

Two things:

1) The intake is a monstrosity. It is a complex unit designed to contain evaporative emissions from the engine and fuel system when the car is not running. So complex, in fact, that they were forced to develop a so-called lifetime air filter that supposedly does not need service for 150,000 miles. They put the filter in and sealed it all up simply because it's not possible to get the near-perfect seal they are after, if you incorporate a normal user-serviceable air filter.

2) The exhaust manifold actually contains the first of two catalytic converters. They do this to move the cat as close to the engine as possible for the quickest "light-off" possible. (Catalytic converters don't work unless they are very hot).

·
Registered
227 Posts
PZEV Intake Functions?

Dear Soffiler/Steve O.

How did you determine, or discover, the functions of our extensive PZEV intake system?

This is the first time I have heard this explanation, and I appreciate the information.

I have read all I could find about the PZEV from brochures, press releases, and auto magazines, but I have never heard this explanation about the intake.

Where did you learn this?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Regards,

Dayna 2.3

·
Registered
847 Posts
There are articles on the Internet, some from Ford

·
Gan-San!
2,769 Posts
so what your basically saying is that once we mod our lovely little monster, we're going to be messing with basically everything the PZEV stands for.

·
Mtn. Dew
7,223 Posts
Re: How much to the PZEV crap?

zx3matt said:
Has Ford said that they will make a non PZEV 2.3? That would be great for us that want to race them!

·
Registered
515 Posts
Keep in mind that some of the "stuff" that makes it PZEV is also in the ECU programming. That's something you CAN'T remove, try as hard as you'd like.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Re: PZEV Intake Functions?

Dayna2.3 said:
Dear Soffiler/Steve O.

How did you determine, or discover, the functions of our extensive PZEV intake system?

This is the first time I have heard this explanation, and I appreciate the information.

I have read all I could find about the PZEV from brochures, press releases, and auto magazines, but I have never heard this explanation about the intake...
Hey Dayna 2.3:

Like you, I too have been reading everything about the PZEV I can get my hands on. However, I may not have a concise answer for you, in the form of a referenced statement in a published article.

You see, I am a mechanical engineer with close to 20 years of experience in the automotive field, so, it is altogether possible I have collected scraps of information in my own mind that, when put together using my knowledge and experience, add up to the information that I posted.

On the other hand, one of these links may be what you are looking for:

http://www.visteon.com/newsroom/press/2003/03story60.shtml

http://www.electrifyingtimes.com/ford_focus_pzev.html

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
227 Posts
PZEV Air Filter Function

Dear Soffiler/Steve O.

Thanks very much for your explanation.

The Visteon press release is the most detailed description of the PZEV filter I have seen.

I had been considering replacing the PZEV filter with an aftermaket unit, to lessen restriction.

But after reading about all the engineering that went into the Visteon unit, I am not going to replace it.

Thank you for sending the information.

Regards,

Dayna2.3

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
LiquidGrayZX5 said:
Keep in mind that some of the "stuff" that makes it PZEV is also in the ECU programming. That's something you CAN'T remove, try as hard as you'd like.
im sure Ford Chip can do somthing about that[}:)]

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
The intake and filter are good for around 100k miles and is highly restrictive. The diamerter coming out of the intake is less than half of what is going in. I would definitely replace this.
There is a cat in the header and another in the exhaust.
There is also a different gas tank with a vapor trap.

The ECU can't be chipped, there isn't a place to plug one into. The only way to tune it would be to reflash the darn thing.

·
The Professor
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
aero_student said:
The ECU can't be chipped, there isn't a place to plug one into. The only way to tune it would be to reflash the darn thing.
BOOO! Stay away and wait for the non-PZEV 2.3![?|]

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the SVT is the same way, and the non-PZEV probably would be the same. I'm just waiting for SCT or Diablo to release a home-flasher for the DIYer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts