Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this system, and he's asking $200 for it and i was wondering if the price is alright.

The amp is MRP-M350 700W Class-D Alpine MonoAmp

and subs are 12" infinity, and he says he doesnt know the model number, he says the speakers are screwed into the cabinet, and he'd rather not pull it apart if he don't have to

here are pics of it

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
those should be older infinity kappa subs...their middle of the road line...amp is a decent one i just hope the subs are single 4 ohm voice coils or dual 8 ohm coils to get the most out of the amp

·
Registered
168 Posts
Sounds like $200 is a fair price for an enclosure, 2 sub-woofers (not the best but will sound fine) and an amplifier.

Without unscrewing and removing the sub-woofers you can measure their resistance and this will give you a ball-park estimate of their impedance (2 ohm, 4 ohm, 8 ohm, etc).

It looks like the previous owner has them run in parallel to the amp. From the picture it looks like the speaker cable on the left terminal runs under the amp to the right terminal, then another piece of speaker cable runs from the right terminal to the amp.

If you remove the speaker cable from the amp you can use a multi-meter to measure resistance. You're looking for approximately 2 or 4 ohms.

If you read approximately 1 ohm, then the speakers could be:
- single 2 ohm voice coils
- dual 4 ohm voice coils (most likely)

If you read approximately 2 ohms, then the speakers could be:
- single 4 ohm voice coils (most likely)
- dual 2 ohm voice coils
- dual 8 ohm voice coils

If you read approximately 4 ohms, then the speakers could be:
- single 2 ohm voice coils
- dual 2 ohm voice coils
- dual 4 ohm voice coils
- single 8 ohm voice coils (most likely)

You're looking for 2 ohms to get the "most" out of that amp, but if you read 4 ohms you're fine.

The reality is, it doesn't matter, all that matters is that it sounds fine and you're not overheating the amplifier.

Have the seller put it in a car and let you listen to it. If it sounds like it is worth $200, pay the seller, if it sounds crappy.. offer less or don't buy it.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I agree with remmargorp. $200 dollars seems fair. You need to know the ohm load and you have to hear the set up. You won't be getting ripped off if you pay 200 for that set up if it works and sounds good. You ultimately have to decide if that sound like a $200 set up to you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts