Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Focusless
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering, because I might wanna get it repainted. How much for a full paint job on a ZX3?

Thanks, +Rep will be given out

·
Banned
1,355 Posts
Like a closed door or a full strip and repaint. Closed I would say would be maybe $500-1000 but when you opened your door or hood or trunk it would be the stock color. A full paint job probably a couple grand. Not too sure hopefully someone else can chime in. What color do you want to paint it since that will wiehg in on the cost too, gloss, pearlescent, candy, etc.

·
Focus Fanatic
7,252 Posts
Anywhere from $1000-$5000 depending on quality, paint, and type of work being done.

·
Focus Enthusiast
3,002 Posts
If you are doing a ful paint, door jambs under hood, part removal, the whole 9 yards, your looking at $2000 for a quality job. If you want to change colors, you're talking $2,500-$3,000, and if you want something custom (multiple colors/effects) your looking at upwards of $5,000. Really wild? get ready to throw down $10,000 without flinching.

These prices are based on a good, professional shop with a great reputation that once they get done, you don't go back 19 times to have things re-done over over. And assuming they do all the mundane labor, tear down, sanding, spot touch ups and fills, preping, masking, curing, wet sanding, buffing, full detail after the job is done. Also factoring in that you don't have any connections and your not having your friend's uncle's boss's brother's son who goes to trade school do it in the back yard.

If you're just looking for a quicky same color scuff and squirt, you might get it done for $1000.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
my advice, sand the whole car down yourself, buy 15 cans of duplicolor paint whatever color you want, about 30 cans of duplicolor clearcoat, and get to work man =p paint is stupidly expensive, n getting the whole service done sucks your wallet right up. I'd never be able to afford it

·
Registered
452 Posts
^^^
Believe it or not, I tried that. Not a good idea if you ask me. I had done it to my Dodge Spirit that was getting rust spots and just really old... I didn't care so much because it was a learning experience. But on the DIY advice, it would be better off getting good paint, an air compressor, and a spray gun (not to mention a garage to do it in) and do a LOT of research before undertaking the task. It will be a lot of work though and if you have never done it, be prepared for a less than perfect job. Paint shops charge you that much simply because they have to.

·
Focus Enthusiast
3,002 Posts
Unless you are very very good with a rattle can, I wouldn't advise going that route. I've done it twice on a car, came out pretty good, but I've got a lot of experience and training. Using a compressor and gun is ok DYI, but without a teacher or practice, not the best way to go.
depending what color your going with, it could get ugly....even here someone foolishly tried to rattle can their car, not realizing that metalic and/or satin finishes aren't like other paints, and now they drive around with their car looking like a zebra!

·
Max8
2,858 Posts
Rattle cans are good for a bumper or small fixtures. I rattle canned my front and rear bumper, they look ok but the paint chips off very easily.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
^ ya, bumper paint usually chips

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
prob lookin around 1200 plus

1 - 12 of 12 Posts