Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my Mk3 back in April, and until the weather started getting cold a couple of months ago, I averaged about 38.5-39MPG per tank (running 87 octane regular, premium gives me a weird idle and ethanol kills my mileage).

I did the snorkel delete and lost about 1 MPG but seeing as the car was easier to get off the line without stalling I called that acceptable.

I did an AEM air filter about a month ago and the weather's been much colder, and my last two tanks I've only managed 33.6MPG. This is about 10 minutes in town and an hour on the highway every day. Is that a normal cold weather drop or would the snorkel delete and filter dropped my economy that much?

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Mine dropped from 35.8 to 31-32. I have been using remote start almost daily but I don't know if that counts against it. I have also been leaving it run while I sit in the parking lot at work.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have dropped down a few MPG's as well. Its a combination of taking longer for the car to reach operating temps, longer idle times in the parking lots and drive train fluids being thicker for a little while, among others.

Also, the defroster and other electrical components (heated seats) make the alt. work more, taking more gas.

I went from 33 to 29-30.

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
Winter gas + rolling resistance (cold wheel bearings, snow on road, winter tire) + air resistance (air is denser when cold so the car has to work harder to go at the same speed) + some remote start their engine

So yes it's perfectly normal

·
Registered
382 Posts
Everyone here is pretty much spot on. Remember the colder it gets the lower you can expect your mileage to get. It doesn't help that the mk3 engine is so cold blooded it can't even get to operating temp in the extreme cold.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I've lost about 2 MPG during my daily commute.

·
Registered
178 Posts
too much.. my brutal city winter commute has my focus go from 9.6L/100km in the city summer to 11L/100km

realy frustrating to not even get 400km on a tank...

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,111 Posts
32-33 to 30-31. They say adding the winter blend leads to a decrease of about 30% in mpg. Plus the colder denser air.

·
Registered
382 Posts
This morning on my 20 mile commute my coolant temp got up to 165. 20 degrees Fahrenheit was outside temp. When outside temp is -20 my coolant temp won't exceed 150. Normal operating temp is above 200. I suspect this affects mileage considerably.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
At what (coolant) temperature do our GDIs transition from open loop to closed loop? I'm assuming open loop uses more fuel than closed loop. If so, the longer we stay in open loop, the longer we consume more fuel.

Not that that is the only factor of course.

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
I get ~37mpg in the summer and ~30mpg in the winter.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I suggest to put the engine cover in the winter. This help a lot. Last winter I bought it, I was always under 8L/100 KM easy. I wanted to test again this winter but without (because I remove it in the summer/spring) and my fuel consumption is above 8L/100 KM and it's hard for me to go below 8, next to impossible. I drive the same way I did and in the same condition also.

The engine get hotter faster, it stay warm longer and is able to reach a higher temperature (the "normal temperature" as we call it) since there's a heat shield inside the cover.

When it's 5°C or above, I suggst to remove it. The engine need to breathe too.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I suggest to put the engine cover in the winter. This help a lot. Last winter I bought it, I was always under 8L/100 KM easy. I wanted to test again this winter but without (because I remove it in the summer/spring) and my fuel consumption is above 8L/100 KM and it's hard for me to go below 8, next to impossible. I drive the same way I did and in the same condition also.

The engine get hotter faster, it stay warm longer and is able to reach a higher temperature (the "normal temperature" as we call it) since there's a heat shield inside the cover.
Great idea. Can an engine cover be found somewhere cheaper than the dealer? Or anyone have a good source to order one from?

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
Great idea. Can an engine cover be found somewhere cheaper than the dealer? Or anyone have a good source to order one from?
You could also wrap your engine in foil [grinking]

·
Registered
378 Posts
Stop and Go traffic, 20km both ways home to work and shopping. I'm getting about 9.5-10L/100km in winter. Summer time is between 8.5 and 9L/100km

1 - 20 of 31 Posts