Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious how much power can the atx transmission handle before it takes a dump? I wanna go FI but i'm scared the tranny will crash if i go with the HI-Boost kit or the FS Stage 2. However i head that with a proper tune or something the tranny can handle a good amount of power. I have heard from some that 180hp is what that atx can go up to...but i was looking for a little over 200+hp. any ideas? besides going to a lentech auto...

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
someone said 150, but i dont know about that.

·
Registered
345 Posts
with the proper tuning the tranny can handle FI. hi boost and fs know what they are doing and will tune accordingly. I myself am making around 165 hp/tq with no problems. and i'm not easy on it either.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Foci_Fosho said:
It can handle 180 HP just fine....

torque on the other-hand.... they aren't the best of friends...
Well is there any way to fix that. i heard something like a new torque converter or something, idk. I just don't wanna spend $5.5K on a new tranny and turbo kit. arg why did i have to got with the atx? [?|]

·
Registered
7 Posts
what it all comes down to is a torque converter. I didnt have any plans of modding my car when i first bought it, i just wanted a nice looking ride to get me from point a to point b, and occasionally point c on the weekends. After I started making money I thought i might as well spend it on my ride, now im in the sme boat as you. Why did I get the atx I thought!! But after some serious research I found that an atx trans IS NOT as bad as everyone makes it seem. For instance, no one can realisticaly change gears faster than an atx, there bred to be quater mile monsters. The only real downside, is the amount of hp and torque they can handle as compared to a man. trans. BUT like what was stated earlier in the thread, proper tunning can help make a stock atx trans, as good if not better then a stock man. trans. Also, I do plan on getting a lentech atx trans. F' swaps!! there definatly not worth the headaches!!

·
Registered
279 Posts
sucofzx3 said:
what it all comes down to is a torque converter. I didnt have any plans of modding my car when i first bought it, i just wanted a nice looking ride to get me from point a to point b, and occasionally point c on the weekends. After I started making money I thought i might as well spend it on my ride, now im in the sme boat as you. Why did I get the atx I thought!! But after some serious research I found that an atx trans IS NOT as bad as everyone makes it seem. For instance, no one can realisticaly change gears faster than an atx, there bred to be quater mile monsters. The only real downside, is the amount of hp and torque they can handle as compared to a man. trans. BUT like what was stated earlier in the thread, proper tunning can help make a stock atx trans, as good if not better then a stock man. trans. Also, I do plan on getting a lentech atx trans. F' swaps!! there definatly not worth the headaches!!
The other downside is that you loose so much dang power and torque through an ATX. Us 4 bangers need all that we can get, thus MTX's are better in this case.

·
Registered
7 Posts
airdrummer said:
The other downside is that you loose so much dang power and torque through an ATX. Us 4 bangers need all that we can get, thus MTX's are better in this case.
Not "so much" power, but since atx owners do have more 'things' to go through in the whole trans. to get to the wheels we do loose SOME power. But honestly nothing that can be tangible.

·
Registered
279 Posts
sucofzx3 said:
Not "so much" power, but since atx owners do have more 'things' to go through in the whole trans. to get to the wheels we do loose SOME power. But honestly nothing that can be tangible.
I have owned a 2005 ATX focus, and my parents have two of them. They are much more sluggish compaired to my car, even when it was completely stock (I know the 2.3 has alot to do with it, but so does the MTX). I've also ridden in a 2005 2.0 MTX focus, and it has alot more power than the auto's. You really do loose alot through those things, because it's not directly attached to your wheels like an MTX is, and not to mention the way an auto shifts too.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
i have an atx, and i can -almost- keep up perfectly with a stock ST(tested on track not street btw!)

·
Registered
265 Posts
airdrummer said:
I have owned a 2005 ATX focus, and my parents have two of them. They are much more sluggish compaired to my car, even when it was completely stock (I know the 2.3 has alot to do with it, but so does the MTX). I've also ridden in a 2005 2.0 MTX focus, and it has alot more power than the auto's. You really do loose alot through those things, because it's not directly attached to your wheels like an MTX is, and not to mention the way an auto shifts too.

Actually, you don't lose the power through the transmission it's self, you lose it in the torque converter. It is just basically a hydraulic filled piece and when this little fan type thing inside spins fast enough it turns all that and makes the car move, thus spinning the wheels. That is also the reason the car's are a little smoother on take off's than an MTX.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
how much can our manual trannys hold ? i know the auto/manual cobalts can hold up to like 250. or maybe thats just the motor, i dont know.

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
Those of you who are saying that you don't lose so much through an auto you do... I do agree that the auto's aren't as bad as everyone makes them out to be but you do lose power, about 25% of the cars power compared to the 15% power loss through a manual tranny... [thumb]

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Sure, autos take up some power, but the trade off is that you get to keep both hands on the wheel at all times. This is very important when you're going from a dead stop to 1320 feet away in less than 10 seconds. Once you're up above 1 hp per 10 lbs, losing a few to a torque converter doesn't make much of a difference. You'd lose more time changing gears unless you incorporated one of those systems like some of the old drag racers used to force the transmission into 2nd with air or springs.

Best for dragstrip = AT
Best for autocross = MT
Best for you = your decision

·
Registered
37 Posts
My Bolted on Zx3 ses 2005.

It can handle 180 HP just fine....

torque on the other-hand.... they aren't the best of friends...
I got a Heavily modded zx3 and with my tune, full exhaust, intake,Stage 1 crower cams, And also few degree's bump in ignition timing for 93 octane. plus fitted a set of speed 3 injectors on. (injectors made me bank1 too lean" before tune.. never understood why?).. but anyway I made 213whp stock on the dyno and my torque is off the ******g charts with this 10:1 compression... soooo... I thought ford focus's just had amazing bottom end.. but what your saying is torque isn't the mk2's friend? idk bro cuz ill pull about a bus or 2 on digs with any other 200hp n/a car but my top end is usually the one that isn't friendly. Ill rap it off 6k, but if I'm really trying to win ill go to 7k. btw engine has 118k miles on it.. water pump is over due, and timing chain is overdue.. but I'm still kicking ass and rocking the svt badge. My buddy also has a true SVT and my base model bolt on focus will leave it with some seriousness and more.

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
I got a Heavily modded zx3 and with my tune, full exhaust, intake,Stage 1 crower cams, And also few degree's bump in ignition timing for 93 octane. plus fitted a set of speed 3 injectors on. (injectors made me bank1 too lean" before tune.. never understood why?).. but anyway I made 213whp stock on the dyno and my torque is off the ******g charts with this 10:1 compression... soooo... I thought ford focus's just had amazing bottom end.. but what your saying is torque isn't the mk2's friend? idk bro cuz ill pull about a bus or 2 on digs with any other 200hp n/a car but my top end is usually the one that isn't friendly. Ill rap it off 6k, but if I'm really trying to win ill go to 7k. btw engine has 118k miles on it.. water pump is over due, and timing chain is overdue.. but I'm still kicking ass and rocking the svt badge. My buddy also has a true SVT and my base model bolt on focus will leave it with some seriousness and more.
You have a n/a 2.0l with over 200whp?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts