Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I probably need another MTX75.

I would like to buy a much more modern one with way less miles than all of the 1st gens these days have in junk yards.

i read that the bell housing can just swap, but, are the existing splines/ shaft length, FW/ clutch combo all good to use?

In other words, could I score a, say 2014 model MTX75 and just swap my bell housing on to it and slap it in my Zetec ZX3?

If not, how high of a year can I go and do just a direct bell housing swap?

Thanks to any who reply.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From what I know, all MTX75s are the same (save for the awd ones). The only difference between them is the shift tower. In the mk3 trans swap thread, a guy put a mk1 trans in a mk3 and just changed the shift tower.
Thank you. I have read a thread similar where a guy used 2011? or so mtx75 in his 2nd gen. and just changed (I guess) the shift tower and bell housing/ casing.

So, my reaosning was, if zetec and durtec guts can swap, and duratec guys can swap with those all the way up to modern mtx75s, shouldn't I be able to score any late model mtx75 and swap guts?

I just wondered if any 1st gen guys had already tried it and discovered if there was a nuance that made it impossible, like, if my shift tower wouldn't work on a modern one, or, if the internals are different in a way that would make the swap impossible.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I know you can go up to 2011 with a duratec zetec internal parts swap, don’t know about the mk3 internals. I have bolted up a mk3 motor to a 06 duratec case and it did bolt together.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts