Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its been awhile since i had my last focus, dont recall the idle being as high. Im sitting at 900 or so with everything off, brand new plugs, cleaned throttle body, new tps, replacing egr tomorrow.

·
Lurking...
2,180 Posts
Any sort of tune on the car? its obviously modified shorty header and CAI at least, this could be the cause of the slightly higher idle.

·
Registered
302 Posts
If you just started it and the engine is cold, it'll idle a little high for a little bit. Also if the defroster is on, the a/c compressor (if so equipped) is running, so it'll "surge" a little.

Just my 2 cents.

Does it idle down after a minute? Any codes present? Engine light on? If it's idling high and the MIL is on, you may very well have a vacuum leak. Since it's a Zetec, the first place I'd check for that is the rear PCV hose that goes to the back of the intake manifold.

Good luck and welcome back to Focus-ness!
I also once had an 03 Sedan, zetec/auto, with a similar header and CAI lol. Small world.

·
Super Moderator
8,951 Posts
Completely normal to sit between 700-900. Mine sits at around 800.

You're fine, relax and enjoy your car.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8,951 Posts
If you just started it and the engine is cold, it'll idle a little high for a little bit. Also if the defroster is on, the a/c compressor (if so equipped) is running, so it'll "surge" a little.

Just my 2 cents.

Does it idle down after a minute? Any codes present? Engine light on? If it's idling high and the MIL is on, you may very well have a vacuum leak. Since it's a Zetec, the first place I'd check for that is the rear PCV hose that goes to the back of the intake manifold.

I also once had an 03 Sedan, zetec/auto, with a similar header and CAI lol. Small world.
Fair points made here too.

Namely cold start, AC or heater on and vacuum leaks.

If you need to check for intake vacuum leaks buy a fire extinguisher and a can of starting fluid.

In the area After the maf carefully spray the fluid by any joints.
Ex intake manifold to head
around the top and bottom of the throttle body
Just after the maf
Behind the intake manifold there are vacuum hoses. That general vicinity.

Exhaust leaks can be done with the car warm. Make sure radiator fans are not on.

Take a piece of computer paper and put it by exhaust joints before the 1st o2 sensor.

If that doesn't work could be iacv. Bit late now I'll get you info later.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any sort of tune on the car? its obviously modified shorty header and CAI at least, this could be the cause of the slightly higher idle.
Just the CAI, headers, throttle body, and dual exhaust

Just my 2 cents.

Everything is off, no ac/defroster exc. No engine codes, It doesnt idle down when warm (its upper 70s here for whatever reason) in drive or park it sits right around 900. The PCV hose is on my list of items to change out, I havent detected any leaks as of yet. Just feels off, just trying to work out the last few kinks and seemed higher then i remembered. I missed my focus, glad I ended up grabbing another.

Any vacuum leaks?
I havent detected any leaks as of yet. I do plan on changing out the PCV valve, egr, and checking the system a bit further if it ever stops raining!

Completely normal to sit between 700-900. Mine sits at around 800.

You're fine, relax and enjoy your car.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using FF Mobile
Thanks just felt "different" and still working out some kinks, just seemed a bit high from the last one, from what i remember

·
Lurking...
2,180 Posts
It is higher than what mine sat at (750) but with the mods you have id say your fine. Especially since you have an aftermarket T/B. Unless its throwing codes you should be good. Tho I would look into getting a tune if it bothers you to much!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is higher than what mine sat at (750) but with the mods you have id say your fine. Especially since you have an aftermarket T/B. Unless its throwing codes you should be good. Tho I would look into getting a tune if it bothers you to much!
Thanks I may look into getting a tune once i finish up a few odds and ends on it.

·
Super Moderator
8,951 Posts
Idk if mentioned earlier, you can usually adjust the butter fly valve to help with rpms. Careful though and do it slow

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
If the TB hasn't been messed with you wouldn't want to do that though, OK to fix prev. messed up one.

Gotta do a warmed up idle @ about 650 with the IAC disconnected to adjust the TB.

·
It's just a Focus.
5,258 Posts
Mine is about 1,500 at the first turn of the key then it idles down to about 1,100 or 1,200 until it gets up to temp and idles around 750 to 800. Depends on the ambient temperature for me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If I can ask a question or 2. I am not worried about my idol it is nice and steady at around 750. My concern is when I'm stopped at a stop light or sign I feel the engine surge. I have no check engine light on and it runs great with the pedal to the metal. Does a vacuum leak cause the surge? What is MAF?

·
Registered
302 Posts
If I can ask a question or 2. I am not worried about my idol it is nice and steady at around 750. My concern is when I'm stopped at a stop light or sign I feel the engine surge. I have no check engine light on and it runs great with the pedal to the metal. Does a vacuum leak cause the surge? What is MAF?
MAF is "mass air flow" and refers to the sensor right behind your air box that tells the ECU how much air's coming in so it can adjust accordingly. The engine surging could be a few things. Couple questions: Auto or manual? Also, are your spark plugs old?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,208 Posts
If you got 900 rpm hot idle shut up and be happy, the zetec screams for another hundred rpm above the usual 750-800, it makes the engine not rattle in mounts NEARLY so much. I would kill for another hundred rpm on mine.

slow_, you can't simply bump the idle screw up more, the PCM merely retunes that move out by closing the IAC by whatever needed to re-establish the same speed as before, it's set in the software. Adjust the idle and it SEEMS to increase but come back in 5 minutes and back at same speed if it doesn't do it instantly. Why the idle gets bumped commonly with a tune, it idles better a bit faster. Ford's view is that slower turning engines emit less pollutants. Also, slower turning engines tend to show problems faster, there's some more of my conspiracy theory in there if you want. I won't deny it.

·
FF Affiliate
30,679 Posts
On top of what amc49 said about you cannot use the idle screw to set the idle , if you do move the idle screw it can cause the idle to hang , can cause the idle to flair between shifts and a lot more issues

To properly set the idle , start the engine , unhook the IACV =Idle Air Control Valve , engine should die , restart engine and set idle to about 650-700 , reconnect IACV , then the ECU will take over and adjust from there

Tom

1 - 20 of 25 Posts