Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious of how common this is and what needed to be done to your car, also if you got a new head where did you buy it? pics would be good too

·
Registered
471 Posts
I am just curious... When you catch a dropped valve seat in time is it possible to avoid damage and just take out the valve seat and replace it ??
or more repair work would had to be done ?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that is what im hoping to do ..my piston and head are dinged up but i cant see why it will matter as long as my piston isent cracked...i might just clean it up a little with a die grinder

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no took my head off and had to take the valves out and half of one it pretty much fell out..but i cant find the rest...

·
Registered
49 Posts
If your piston is dinged up, you might have some problems. It will depend on how badly. If you have sharp edges you might get hot spots, and this tend to cause pre ignition. This was much more of a problem on older carbureted cars. Your computer should be able to adjust, but to what extent, who knows. You probably wont notice a difference, but there maybe a small lose in power.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Just curious of how common this is and what needed to be done to your car, also if you got a new head where did you buy it? pics would be good too
You might have been lucky and caught it early enough so that the pistons and block can be salvaged. Mine opened up a water jacket in the cylinder wall, leaked water into the oil and threw a rod. If there is no major damage to the pistons, rings and cylinder walls then I would just buy a remanufactured head off ebay and slap it on there. Just make sure that they have put the new updated valve seats in the head. Make sure you clean out the intake manifold or it will destroy your engine again. Here is a link to some useful info on my valve seat problem. Leave rep if I helped.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=171133

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
50 Posts
I pulled the freeze plug in the intake manifold and ran water through it, then compressed air. The EGR is pretty small so you can just run some compressed air through it. The gasket kit that came with my motor had screens on the intake manifold and EGR pipe in case someone didn't clean them properly. Be carefull with the intake manifold bolts, if you torque them too tight them you can crack the flanges on the intake. Good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts