Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It does seem that a rally inspired car would not benefit from a sunroof, it does place additional weight at the very top of the car, and many would agree it weakens the unibody structure. A rigid structure helps in handling, and there are a lot of threads that suggest we push a sunroof towards failure when we drive it hard?

How many owners we able to order a car without a sunroof? I'm very curious about the rarity and thank you in advance for a reply.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I just bought my RS from inventory a few weeks ago but never wanted a Sun/Moon roof and don't like them. I don't understand why Ford calls it a power moonroof. I believe that most people would open the roof on a warm sunny day and not in the evening for moonlight. I have owned 12 Mustangs in the last 30 years and two of them had the roofs. Hated both of them and never opened the roofs.

·
So mote be it
8,903 Posts
I just bought my RS from inventory a few weeks ago but never wanted a Sun/Moon roof and don't like them. I don't understand why Ford calls it a power moonroof. I believe that most people would open the roof on a warm sunny day and not in the evening for moonlight. I have owned 12 Mustangs in the last 30 years and two of them had the roofs. Hated both of them and never opened the roofs.
[hihi] Moonroof is just a marketing term (which Ford coined iirc) sun/moon are interchangeable these days but originally moon was used for a glass fixture atop the car that let light in while closed whereas the sun roof's were originally opaque.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
It does seem that a rally inspired car would not benefit from a sunroof, it does place additional weight at the very top of the car, and many would agree it weakens the unibody structure. A rigid structure helps in handling, and there are a lot of threads that suggest we push a sunroof towards failure when we drive it hard?
FWIW, where allowed in 'stock' body racing the moonroof is preferred due to a stiffer structure. Replacement of glass with a solid panel when that type is allowed is generally a requirement for track events to avoid an extra glass area to break/allow intrusions in a roll over.

Getting rid of the glass/mechanism saves the extra weight not useful for stiffness.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts

How many owners we able to order a car without a sunroof? I'm very curious about the rarity and thank you in advance for a reply.
Actually, it doesn't weaken the unibody as Sailor explained.

Also, "rally inspired" doesn't mean the car is intended to compete in rally races.

Per Marriam-Webster dictionary: Inspired: having a particular cause or influence.

So, being "rally inspired" simply implies that the design of the car was influenced by the rally variant.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually, it doesn't weaken the unibody as Sailor explained.

Also, "rally inspired" doesn't mean the car is intended to compete in rally races.

Per Marriam-Webster dictionary: Inspired: having a particular cause or influence.

So, being "rally inspired" simply implies that the design of the car was influenced by the rally variant.
Not everyone would be interested in rallying a rally inspired car, but some are. I was only curious if anyone had an RS without the sunroof. I think most who would rally would start with no sunroof at all, but it's a thought, not a know.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I actually enjoy the moonroof glass in the closed position but I always have the shade pushed back so it lets in natural light: Day or Night.

I'll pull the shade forward when I park the car in a public location to make it "darker" inside the car to so as to keep every one "honest".

.............................................................................................................................

If I do open it- I normally just have it in the "propped" position where the glass is sorta of in a deflector position so that I can move air thru the car.

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
I love having a sunroof on my SE and use it a lot especially the tilt feature is nice just to circulate air. I also had 15% tint laid over the stock tint which really cut down heat when the shade is pulled back.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I can’t stand sunroofs.... I have one of the few 2013 Titanium’s out there w/o one & that’s why I bought it. I’ve always preferred a fully painted roof & never use them anyways. If I bought an RS, I’d prefer no sunroof & would like the forged black wheels, however when buying used sometimes you make exceptions, if the deal is right....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts