Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how long I've got before I need a tranny? I've got 106k on original ATX w/ maint. done every 30k. Some others I know have failed at as low as 36k miles. I 've also got about 60 drag races on it and so far there has been no problem. I would almost say these trannys are bullit-proof. If your ATX has failed ... at what miles? [race]

·
MyCarBreaksAlot
8,609 Posts
Depends on what you mean by "failed." Do you mean having work done to it, or it failing to the point where you need a swap?

Mine went out at around 60k I think. I lost overdrive. It was a simple fix though, replace a shift solenoid. I opted instead for a Lentech valve body, that was good money spent. Glad I did my research on the problem though cause if I had taken it to a trans shop, they probably would have charged me an arm and a leg due to my ignorance.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would I be stupid to put a Lentec valvebody in a 106k tranny?. By failed I mean you don't move!

·
MyCarBreaksAlot
8,609 Posts
Nah it's a good investment. I'm surprised you haven't lost a solenoid yet.

I'm not sure if the Duratec and Zetec 4f27e's are different in any way but I wouldn't be surprised if your tranny was beefed up slightly for the added power. They are notorious for being pretty weak transmissions.

·
FocusXtreme
3,369 Posts
how much is the valvenody and how easy is the install on the zetec i might add

·
MyCarBreaksAlot
8,609 Posts
It's a very easy install, just time consuming. You have to drop your pan so you end up draining trans fluid, cleaning shavings out of the pan, and cleaning a gasket surface, letting the new gasket cure, and refilling the fluid. Swapping it out is a matter of pulling 5 electrical plugs and loosening 20 bolts basically.

See if you can search and find a how to, there was a really good one with pics and everything. The big thing to look out for is 2 pistons/springs that fall out when you lower the valve body out of the car. You may want to wait for a trans service to swap it. The Lentech guys are great and very friendly though and could walk you through any problems you may have on the install no problem. But like I said, it's so easy even a caveman could do it.

IIRC it came to like $500 with the shipping since it's coming from Canada, and I would have broke even if I had shipped mine back for a core refund.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I believe that the only difference in the tranny for the Duratec is that they beefed up the torque converter to handle the extra power. Other than that, they're the same transmission. Correct me if I'm wrong...

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
Depending on how you drive the car, theres no reason it shouldnt last well over 100k miles (with regular maintenance)

My 92 D250 (Cummins) has over 217k on the tranny and its still holding strong.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts