Focus Fanatics Forum banner

121 - 140 of 859 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
20.6k on my '12. I purchased it used with a little under 19k, so I've put just under 1k since I bought it. Other than the rattles, I love it. Rattles didn't set in until 2 weeks after I picked it up, so go figure.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Hit 78k yesterday.

·
-----<M>-----
2,724 Posts
Got my focus back in October '11. Now have 14.4k miles on it. Transmission is a nightmare and things are slowly falling apart. Also, the rattles are slightly disconcerting. Questioning if I want to buy another Ford in a few months.
I was in your situation - the transmission wasn't quite a "nightmare" but I believe there was a vibration coming from it in certain RPM bands. At least the dealer and Ford corporate both thought so. They couldn't eliminate it completely. I read the same thing about some VW DSG's. Also my suspension had gotten real sloppy and harsh, incl. bump steer over certain bumps (but not quite bad enough to avoid the "it's a characteristic of the car" routine). Not coincidentally, both the tranny and front struts had been taken apart at least once for warranty work.

Trouble is, there are no other compacts on the market I like more. So I took chance with a '14 Titanium. Waited 3 months to get a decent offer on my '12, finally got it and jumped on it.

My theory is that the '14 has all the latest hardware and software from the factory, so should not need any major work, and therefore will not develop the vibrations and sloppiness that I believe were due to the major work (similar thing happened to my '06 Explorer).

So unfortunately my Focus mileage was reset from 24,500 to 218 as of this morning. [8D]

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
WOW! How is the transmission holding out and what is your overall assessment of the car now that you are fast approaching 80K?
Transmission
I had the clutch and seal replaced at 62k miles, so the transmission is fine... for now. *knocks on wood* I do have some gear whine accelerating in 2nd, but that's about it, and it's always been there.

Overall Assessment - The Bad
  • Well, interior rattles more than I had hoped, but nothing that I can't fix in a few summer weekends
  • Coolant is low and murky looking (I still don't know what's causing it)
  • I think I have a bad wheel bearing (it doesn't sound nearly has bad as my last car that had a bearing go)
  • The front suspension is pretty squeaky
  • The Kona Blue paint is horribly chipped already (Stay tuned for a "how-to" touch-up/polishing lesson in the detailing area. lol)
Overall Assessment - The Good
  • It hasn't left me stranded
  • Still handles fine
  • MFT has been fine since 2 updates ago
  • All of my electronics are pretty solid, actually
  • The power is sufficient, though it seemed really bad before the clutch was replaced due to the slippage
Would I buy it again?
  • Not 2012.
  • Not new (depreciation was expected, but ouch.)
  • DCT...? Yeah, I could see a 2014. But if I got another Focus, it would probably be an ST. lol
That's about all I can think of at the moment.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Shew.. Almost 2 month update....

So I got the Focus on 2/4 and today at 3/31 it already has 10,3XX miles on it. [strongman]

I can definitely see putting 50k at least on this thing in the first year with my commute.

So far I really like the little thing, and now that its getting warm, being able to open the roof and rock out on my way home is nice, too bad I didn't get the Sony sound though-- Then I could really rock out! LOL.

·
Registered
143 Posts
that sounds exactly like what I have. If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for it?
I paid 15,600 for it with tax and all the dumb fees included. Car was very clean inside and out. Drove 2 hrs one way to get it b/c it was the only 5spd focus worth buying closest to Sacramento. Has everything except navigation and sunroof as far as I can tell. Same with yours?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I paid 15,600 for it with tax and all the dumb fees included. Car was very clean inside and out. Drove 2 hrs one way to get it b/c it was the only 5spd focus worth buying closest to Sacramento. Has everything except navigation and sunroof as far as I can tell. Same with yours?
I do have a sunroof, but no NAV. I wanted a 5sp without the MFT in order to avoid the most common complaints about this vehicle. I also drove a fair distance to get mine as finding a 5sp was difficult. I paid $14.8k for mine, with 19k miles.

I've owned the car for about 2 months now I do enjoy it, though I wish it had just a little more power!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Nice! Looks like you were able to find a much better deal than I haha. This was the only 5spd i found with leather closest to home. I had a 2012 focus s dct and sold that to try to get a 5spd. Loving this thing so far. Just having cruise control now makes life so much better.

121 - 140 of 859 Posts