Focus Fanatics Forum banner

381 - 400 of 859 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'm at 34,000 miles on my 2012. I hope to get 150,000 out of mine also. The car has been perfect except for two replacements of the known problematic clutches. I have the latest clutch pack and I hope this is the fix that takes care of it. The service manager said Ford has spent a billion dollars on the clutches. It is too early to tell if the latest clutch type will have problems. There are not enough miles on them yet. When the clutch is working correctly this is the smoothest quickest clutch out there. Keeping fingers crossed!

·
Registered
166 Posts
I am using the tip of turning OFF the AC to make the clutches last longer. I was leaving the AC on 24/7 and just setting the dual temp control to the temp setting I desired. I thought the AC would only turn on as needed. I might have been wrong thinking that though. I may have been creating heat and deteriorating the clutches prematurely.

·
Registered
530 Posts
95k. 1 set of clutches/Seals at 75k. Nothing else needed to this point.

Factory battery, brakes, etc.

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
just crossed over the 22k mark on my 2014 se with DCT. car runs and drives perfect. (knock on wood).

·
Registered
28 Posts
80k miles on a 2012 SEL Hatch. Only problem so far was the transmission computer died at about 45k, car would no longer shift and every warning light came on. But covered under warranty so i cant complain.
Still on the original clutches, even though mine should be the "most problem" year i gather. Yes, it shudder a little bit a couple times a year, if it super hot out and im stuck in a creeping traffic jam, but its fine again once it cools. Really just a minor annoyance for me. Maybe ill get them "tested" at the dealer as i get toward 100k miles.
From reading this forum, you would think they are all bad, but i dont think thats the case. There are certainly some bad "cars" , and it must suck to be that owner, but they have sold like a "bazillion" of these third gen focus. So i don't think its a bad "vehicle/line" or every dealer would be 200+ deep in repairs on these daily. Just my opinion.
Overall i love the car! Only regret is they had not lauched/announced the ST at the time I bought mine. Even though i just use it as a commuter (I have motorcycles if I want to got fast), I might have stepped up to the ST if availible then.

·
Registered
94 Posts
2014 SE Hatch. Bought on November 21, 2014. 34k and climbing daily. I drive a lot haha. 32k in one year. Had 7 miles when I rolled off the lot

·
Registered
91 Posts
My 2013 Titanium has 60,998 miles to be exact. I started out driving my car at least 86 miles round trip when I worked at my old job commuting mostly highway up until January (2015) of this year. I ended up with just over 51k miles by that time. I've only driven about 10k miles ever since after getting a job close to home!! [grinking]

·
Registered
38 Posts
162k. Original clutches. One transmission module. Check engine light is on. Dealer says it needs a new catalytic converter. $1150 including full synthetic works oil change. Going to pass on the repair. It is a company car and is going to be replaced with a new Edge. *****in a truly demoralizing deal, the trade in on the car that is in great shape is only $2000.00****. Too bad, I have liked this car more than anything I have owned/driven in the past for the amount of mile I have driven it. Hate to see it go. It runs great, you would never know the cat is bad. The clutch issues on the general focus population has devastated the resale on the car.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
162k. Original clutches. One transmission module. Check engine light is on. Dealer says it needs a new catalytic converter. $1150 including full synthetic works oil change. Going to pass on the repair. It is a company car and is going to be replaced with a new Edge. *****in a truly demoralizing deal, the trade in on the car that is in great shape is only $2000.00****. Too bad, I have liked this car more than anything I have owned/driven in the past for the amount of mile I have driven it. Hate to see it go. It runs great, you would never know the cat is bad. The clutch issues on the general focus population has devastated the resale on the car.
I bet if you went to a local exhaust shop you could get the CAT done for a lot cheaper. I was quoted $300 installed where I live.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Maybe. But, the point is mute. It is gone. The company decided to replace it. The reason being; if they fixed it even at $300. And, If the clutches were to go out the car, it would be worth nothing as a trade in. but, right now it was worth $2000 as a trade in. So, new Ford Edge it is. I wanted another focus. But they said it was too small in retrospect and the possibilities of clutch issues caused them to pass. I have had the Edge for almost two weeks now and over 1500 miles. It is actually very nice. Very quick for an SUV; 4 cylinder turbo with front wheel drive. Quicker than the focus I think. Torque steer is pretty bad in the the Edge if your not careful and learn to modulate the throttle. It is the first SUV I have ever driven daily. I miss the focus handling. But, gained a bunch of room. I drive mostly highway so the extra room is nice. Guess I'll have to look for a fun car to get my back road fun on. Old BMW, mustang, who knows but would prefer rwd for a fun car.

This forum has been great. If you guys move on from the focus and need a larger vehicle, look at the edge. We could use more people with the fanatics way of thinking on the Egde forum.

381 - 400 of 859 Posts