Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 40 of 859 Posts

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
I bought mine in April of 2012. Just hit 60k today....has anyone hit 100k?

So far I've had the clutches replaced and my coolant level slowly lowers. Only other complaints are too many rock chips in paint, a few rattles, and sometimes the trunk won't open with fob or button on trunk. Oh and almost a $13,000 depreciation after 60,000 miles and 1.5 years. Otherwise it's been great. Hwy mpg seems to get better over time I get 38 mpg hwy easy. Hope to keep it past 200k miles.

How many miles on yours?
Same issues as you: rattles, clutch, slow coolant leak.

Bought it in July of 2011 and I have a little over 66k miles. Damn, you drive a lot. There was one thread a while ago where someone said they had already reached 100k miles using it for deliveries, and I think it was also purchased used... I can't find the thread, though.

·
Registered
100 Posts

Bought it in July of 2011 and I have a little over 66k miles. Damn, you drive a lot. There was one thread a while ago where someone said they had already reached 100k miles using it for deliveries, and I think it was also purchased used... I can't find the thread, though.
Thread: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=306727

I use my car for deliveries too, bought it last yr of december 2012, i'm almost 64k now. Finally i have decided to keep her and mod then buy another car for my deliveries hopefully these december. :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
3rd Time's the Charm
1,943 Posts
23k miles, bought end of November 2012. Over lifetime, I'll probably average right at 25k/year. I'm going to keep it to at least pay off, probably beyond.

Zero mechanical issues currently. I expect a synchro issue in the MTX sometime in the not too distant future. Since new, when shifting quickly, it likes to give a little grind from first to second. I've slowed down and don't race it as much, but sometimes... sometimes you just have to.

There is a slight oil seep at the valve cover. I'll clean it off and see if it's ongoing on just residual sometime soon. Not too concerned, levels look good from oil change to change at 5k intervals.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Bought mine two weeks ago with 31k
Got almost 33k on it now with not one single problem. (knock on wood)

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

Yeah I drive too much but the car has overall been great for what I do. I'm a sales rep with a very large territory.

·
Registered
143 Posts
56.000 km trans rebuild at 46,000km steering wheel repair done and rattles in headliner to be fixed. still loving the car.

·
Registered
198 Posts
6300.... transmission is making me sick already, traffic every morning and afternoon going home I get a little more buyer's remorse. If I get to drive it on the highway that remorse goes back down just a little.

What makes me feel even worse is at the 5k service interval I mentioned something about it to the service rep and he just said "that's just how it is, don't creep" - does he drive at all in this city? I just KNOW if I try to take it in for repair he's just going to tell me "that's how they're made" - long road ahead I'm sure.

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
Got mine in May 2012 and just hit 14,000;no real issues except for a couple frustrating rattles/squeaks but still love it.

·
Registered
420 Posts
6300.... transmission is making me sick already, traffic every morning and afternoon going home I get a little more buyer's remorse. If I get to drive it on the highway that remorse goes back down just a little.

What makes me feel even worse is at the 5k service interval I mentioned something about it to the service rep and he just said "that's just how it is, don't creep" - does he drive at all in this city? I just KNOW if I try to take it in for repair he's just going to tell me "that's how they're made" - long road ahead I'm sure.
Unfortunately he's not wrong. I was watching Top Gear the other day and the host was complaining about driving a Lamborghini Aventador in traffic because of all the shuddering and shaking and jerking. And in speaking about the DCT in those cars he said "Great on the open road, terrible in the city". One of those co-hosts, driving behind him in a McLaren, was having similar issues. Try and drive it like a stick. If you had a stick shift, you wouldn't let off the clutch a little and slip it forward a couple of feet (at least, not if you want the clutch to last). You'll let a few feet get in front of you, then roll forward, then stop.

Ford should have been more upfront about the fact that there isn't an automatic in the Focus. Just a manual, or an automated manual; and each should not be driven like an automatic.

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
The DCT in the EVO is worlds apart form the Ford unit and while it has a little jerkiness during low speed acceleration it responds much quicker and smoother than the Focus' DCT. Not all DCTs are created equal as the DCT is supposed to be quicker than a person shifting which they are in the pricier cars but slower in the Focus.

It is an auto-mated manual but the key word is still automated which mean it's still an automatic in my eyes since the computer still has the final say with regards to certain shift points.

·
Registered
420 Posts
The DCT in the EVO is worlds apart form the Ford unit and while it has a little jerkiness during low speed acceleration it responds much quicker and smoother than the Focus' DCT. Not all DCTs are created equal as the DCT is supposed to be quicker than a person shifting which they are in the pricier cars but slower in the Focus.

It is an auto-mated manual but the key word is still automated which mean it's still an automatic in my eyes since the computer still has the final say with regards to certain shift points.
A lot of that is because Ford wants it to have smooth, fluid shifts like an automatic. The Evo is a sports car and thus is all about quick shifts.

The reason it's NOT an automatic is the lack of the torque converter. While the torque converter robs horsepower and fuel efficiency, it's a fantastic way to get power to the tranny. Basically, a turbine is connected to the engine, and a turbine is connected to the transmission. There's fluid in the middle, and the faster the engine spins, the more pressure is put on the transmission. Which means you can be at a complete stop without any jerkiness of slipping of a clutch, or creep along as slow as you please without hurting anything.

(Some locking torque converters also do have crude clutches and other components that are engaged when MOVING to 'lock' it into place improving power delivery and efficiency, but low speed creeping is done with almost no physical connection!)

An automated manual, on the other hand, still uses clutches as you know! Creeping along at low speeds requires the computer to slip those clutches, wearing them prematurely and heating them up. The computer is trying to prevent excessive wear by getting the clutches engaged as quickly as possible which is where the jerkyness comes in. You, and the transmission are trying to do two different things. That's why a lot of people say it needs to be driven like a manual. A driver of a car with a manual transmission, like the computer on your focus, is trying to get the clutch out as quick as possible and not let it slip, overheat, glaze, and wear. They adjust their driving habits to make this happen (or they frequently replace clutches). If you drive like it's a manual, you and the computer will be on the same page when it comes to clutch operation. In this case, it's not the gear shifts that are the problem, it's the computer controlled clutches.

I agree it 'should' be easier, and Ford should do a better job marketing it and educating customers; but it is what it is. You'd have taken a 2-3mpg loss, some time off of your 0-60 and some power-to-the-wheels number hits, but I think a traditional torque converter automatic would've been a better 'automatic' for the Focus. IMHO!

21 - 40 of 859 Posts