Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm at 105K+ now, and wondering how much life the clutch has left. How many miles on your 5spd, and have you had to replace your clutch?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Mine has 115K on presumably the original clutch. I've only had it for a few weeks. I think the wear depends a lot on your driving style. I've had clutches last over 200K miles on other vehicles and wouldn't replace it just as a preventative measure.

·
Registered
228 Posts
96K on my original clutch.

Feels just like it did when it had 4 miles on it.

I don't expect to ever replace it. Although, at 250k when my kids start driving it I may make them replace it if they burn it up ... life lessons

·
Registered
120 Posts
I'm at 105K+ now, and wondering how much life the clutch has left. How many miles on your 5spd, and have you had to replace your clutch?
I had two Focus with the MTX-75 before my current 2016, a 2000 and 2008, and both had the original clutch on them when I sold them. My 2000 had 198k miles, and the 2008 had 193k. Both were 50/50 mix of highway and city mileage.

·
Registered
244 Posts
My 2006 is still being driven by my daughter at 160k, and she learned on that clutch at 80k. If you don’t abuse them, or ride the clutch, they should last 200k easy.

·
Registered
72 Posts
180k on my 01 Zetec, new clutch, engine and tranny have always been good. But everyFthing else has failed. Ive replaced a lot, these days its door handles/locks.

·
Registered
5,893 Posts
I just went over 45,000 on mine today but I am a little more demanding on my clutch and do drive a bit spirited more than most so I'd be happy with 75k but anything near 100k miles would be great.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
I'm just over 148k hard miles. I feel it may slip a little on really hard 1-2 shifts. Just have to let off the throttle to let it catch up and then back on the throttle. Should be ok for a while. I also may have a rear main leak. Either going to take care of the leak and then sell it and get an RS or ST in the next 6 months.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I’m the original owner of mine and I’m at around 212k on the original clutch. I drive a lot of highway miles though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
clutch life is too driver dependant.
i got 140k miles on my origial MTX75 clutch (including hundreds of autox runs), but I'm quite gentle to clutches.

YMMV

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bought mine used with 85k on it and at 100k it blew the clutch to pieces on a downshift from 5th to 4th while climbing a hill. I’m at 145k now. These cars have a dual mass flywheel setup to help reduce vibration and noise. With that said, from what I understand it is nearly impossible to surface the flywheel on a dual mass.so you’ll need to replace both the clutch friction disc and the flywheel to ensure trouble free operation. When I did research on parts for mine (45k miles ago) the only supplier for parts was ford. Hopefully that has changed and somebody has a solid flywheel conversion on the market now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
113k on a 2009 SES bought new. Clutch still functions well, clutch pedal spring is broken which causes the cruise control to not engage. Pay attention to this 5 speed owners. If you find your cruise control intermittent especially when cold, sit back, keep calm, turn on cruise control and lift your clutch pedal when you engage the speed set. Hey! It works like it used to and now you know you can have a normally working cruise control if you replace that broken spring. I have seen them online for about 28 bucks new. Changing it looks a pain but it’s on my list to do along with the passenger side motor mount - the source of most rattles especially the dash... HNY 2019!

·
Registered
9 Posts
123k, still clutching strong... changed that passenger mount, the difference was amazing. All of the dash rattles when cold are gone, car runs like new. Trans mount and dogbone next.

Tires - I changed my tires to 205/55/16 Michelin Energy Savers. These are slightly taller than the recommended tire - about an inch overall. I bought them on a buy 3 get 1 free from Costco, with free installation. After going back and forth about whether they would install the oversized tires, they did.

I have had no rubbing issues at all in about 4,000 miles, and the mileage gain was approx 20% ! Up from an average of 28 per gal to 30. That saves about a 1.5 gallons per tank. In California that’s a good 5.75 per fill so you can calculate how long it will take to be worth your while over the smaller, cheaper tires. All total the tires cost about 390.00 for the set.

My goal was to buy Michelin Energy Saver A/S tires, which are the factory tire on the Focus Electric. They were a bit pricier, however I think the improvement would have been noticeably higher - those tires are amazing. A set for the Focus Electric are about a 1000 bucks, and I tried using a lesser Michelin tire that a Primacy energy tire. The cost to charge the car increased by 5 bucks a week or 25% - I paid the restock fee to go back to the original tire. I would have spent 600 dollars in increased charging costs over the life of the tire...

Ride on!

·
Registered
149 Posts
80,000 and 45,000 (a '12 and a '14). My 21 year old and 18 year old sons drive them (the Focus has very good safety ratings). I drive both of the Focus' on occasion, both of the clutches are still strong.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts