Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many miles do y'all think it would take to wear through 2-3 mm of rotor and 2/32" of brake pad lining in urban driving? My brake pads are at 4/32" and my rotors are at ~25 mm thick (minimum spec is ~22 mm). Debating on replacing both at the same time when brake pads are ready to go.

·
Registered
739 Posts
There's really too many variables to be able to tell. Perhaps if you knew the factory thickness of the rotors that might give you a good idea of how much longer you have left.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Rotor replacement depends more on condition.

If it's all grooved up and/or really rusted as they get up North, it's time for replacement with the pads.

Nice & smooth, no need to replace.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There's really too many variables to be able to tell. Perhaps if you knew the factory thickness of the rotors that might give you a good idea of how much longer you have left.
I was going to do that if I knew original thickness :/ But that probably would've been a little skewed since I drove 95% highway with minimal braking up until the end of 2013 so the driving conditions were quite a bit different.

Rotor replacement depends more on condition.

If it's all grooved up and/or really rusted as they get up North, it's time for replacement with the pads.

Nice & smooth, no need to replace.
They are nice and smooth, they've worn nicely. Very little runout, if any. My car is at 70,300 miles with OEM brakes. No problems at all.

·
Registered
739 Posts
They are nice and smooth, they've worn nicely. Very little runout, if any. My car is at 70,300 miles with OEM brakes. No problems at all.
Honestly I would say just replace the rotors. You've gotten quite a bit of use out of those. I'm quite surprised they've lasted that long. My vote goes for Centric Premium blank rotors. They come with the hub portion and vents all painted black so they don't get all rusty. [twothumbs]

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Honestly I would say just replace the rotors. You've gotten quite a bit of use out of those. I'm quite surprised they've lasted that long. My vote goes for Centric Premium blank rotors. They come with the hub portion and vents all painted black so they don't get all rusty. [twothumbs]
Yeah, I haven't looked any options yet. I was dead set on doing a TCE Wilwood upgrade a few months ago, but I've kind of lost interest in the car and just want to keep it maintained until I pay it off and then sell it or something. Looking at getting a truck again or Mustang. I'm probably going to be stuck with something for quite a while after I graduate and I don't want it to be this car.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Yeah, I haven't looked any options yet. I was dead set on doing a TCE Wilwood upgrade a few months ago, but I've kind of lost interest in the car and just want to keep it maintained until I pay it off and then sell it or something. Looking at getting a truck again or Mustang. I'm probably going to be stuck with something for quite a while after I graduate and I don't want it to be this car.
Totally feel you on that one. I had to downgrade from a '12 Mustang to my Focus. The things I would do to have another Mustang... Haha

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
If thats the case, Id suggest hitting up rockauto.com or just getting a decent replacement from a parts store. Should be able to get new pads and rotors for $100. Id just replace both and be on your way. You will be set when you decide to sell the car and the brakes will be done.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts