Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Bought a new '11 focus, after how many miles do i have to get oil changed?
Should oil type remain the same or should change for somthing else- if so, what do you recommend?

Also, first service should be done after how many miles

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
21,259 Posts
Are you used to miles or km in Malta?

Not to be a jerk, but the owner's manual has information on scheduled maintenance in it. It's a very good source of information. Cars are usually the second most expensive thing that people purchase in their lifetimes, so why doesn't everyone read their owner's manuals? You'd be surprised at how many things you didn't know that are in there, and some things that you'd never have figured out if you hadn't read about it- like where is the fuel cutoff switch? Accidentally running over a large obstruction can set off the fuel cutoff switch, if you know where it is because you read your owner's manual, then you'll be off and driving quickly. If not, then you'll end up paying for a tow truck, waiting for a mechanic to look at it, and having to pay that mechanic for showing you how to turn the fuel pump back on. In an even worse case, the mechanic might replace the fuel pump, charge you for that, and then after making the repair discover that it was probably the fuel cutoff switch all along. Of course, you'll be waiting, and you'll have to pay for the fuel pump repair as well.

I can't remember if the manual covers the first oil change information or not, but I'd say change oil around 2500 miles or 4000 km.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
The dealer I bought my '11 from said every 7,500, as did the manual. I did my first at 5,000, and have been doing it every 3k since. Well...until I switched over to full synthetic oil at 20k. Now I'm changing the oil every 5k.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Firstt oil change

FYI i did check the manual. the manual says after first 5000km.

i have also asked the workshop at the Ford Agent from were i bought it, and they recommend having first oil change + full service after 10,000km or 1 year.

i have read that changing factory oil for the first time before the recommended time is not the best thing to do - cos the oil used is one which is meant to last etc etc

But i also know that if you do not change the oil after a while you will/might cause damage...

Very conufsed!....???

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I haven't had a new car in the last 20 years, but have had new motors. I always changed the first oil very soon. I changed the break in oil immediately after install on my new Focus crate engine a few years ago. Then changed the next one after 500 miles. Just wanted to get any contaminants/metal out that may have come from building the motor. I then followed the schedule until I switched to synthetic at about 18K or so, now at 5K per change.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Well it depends how one regards the vehicle...

There are people that will buy a new car drive it for 100,000 miles [160,000 km] and get rid of it. These types will probably change oil at 5000 miles [8000 km]

For someone that wants as much life out of a vehicle as possible and will drive it as long as possible maybe because the body style is out of production e.g. wagon
Then changing oil every 3000 miles [4800km] is to be done.

I had a 2004 Focus wagon Zetec ran it to 183,000 miles [293,000km] until a drunk totaled it. Oil change every 3000 miles on that.

Now I have a TC [see at left] recommended oil change is at 7500 miles [12,000km]. My oil change is still at 3000 miles.

For you, I suspect there is a very high VAT [Value Added Tax] on your car, therefore that car takes a bigger chunk out of your income than lets say an American. Your manual is correct, change the oil at 5000km [3000 miles]. You should place a bigger trust on the printed word than what comes out of somebody's mouth [10,000km]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
first oil change

Thanks guys.

Gonna book her in.

Should i stick with the same oil thats in her now or should i go for somthing else - what would that be?

Thanks again

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
FYI i did check the manual. the manual says after first 5000km.
Hi Bongajlas,

It is perfectly fine to follow the maintenance schedule in your Owner's Guide. The recommended fluids will be listed in the back section, and have been developed to provide the best performance. Enjoy your new Focus!

~Natasha

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
First oil change

One important thing I haven't mentioned is that I just do 'city' driving- does the first oil change at 5000km still aply??

Many thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
"""One important thing I haven't mentioned is that I just do 'city' driving- does the first oil change at 5000km still aply??"""

[4800km=3000miles]
Yes

Since Malta is not that large and maybe your KM per year will not be that much...
Then FOR ME I would change oil every 6 months if I didn't drive past 5000 KM

1 - 11 of 11 Posts