Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't find a Focus I want with the colors and options so I think I'm going to factory order. I don't mind waiting.

Now that I know what I want, I'm researching prices and such. I've never factory ordered a car before so I was wondering if it is harder to get a dealer to negotiate a price? Do they make less money if I order from factory and are they less willing to negotiate?

Here is what I want:

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback (Titanium)
401A Package
Blue Candy Metallic
Parking Technology Package
Titanium Handling Package
Voice Activated Navigation

Build on Ford.com prices it at $27,270 MSRP
Invoice prices on this build from other websites come to: $25,276

Both prices factor in the destination fee of $795. Any ideas on what a fair offer to a dealer would be or can anyone give me a ballpark on what you paid for your titanium with similar options?

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I searched around within a hundred miles, and found a car close enough to my desired color and build 60 miles away. I decided to go to that dealer tobuy, and paid the internet price, (about $850 off) they now add some big fees and stuff, but i did not argue those. A lot of folks do ask and get those taken off. Dealer fees, odd stuff.
Some dealers will just not be willing to dicker below a certain point, other's are more willing to.
I am certain a local dealer tried to get the car from the 60mi away dealer, but they would not trade it away.
I did not mind driving the 60 miles, nor the deal. After all, the dealer knew i came there to buy that car.
Bright colors in particular seem to be hard to find with the features one wants.
I live in a big metro area (1,500,000) and over a dozen Ford dealers.. think any had any manual transmission cars? even any bright colors? nope.
So eiter you have to order, or search a bigger area.
The problem with Ford searches is they go by zip code. Sucks if you want a partiular car. You have to slog through all the cars with no sorting tool.
I found mine with a search engine which allowed searching by COLOR and features, like manual tranny, so my car popped up as the only one in a hundred miles. Naturally i never kept the URL of that search engine. and now cannot find it. Edmunds site allows search by feature and color, and right now the only car like mine is 225 miles away! Yellow with manual...

·
Registered
73 Posts
My 2012 was ordered by the dealer to my specs. I have usually prefered to go this way because:

• I can optain the exact mix of color/options desired
  • the resulting car will be truly "factory fresh" and will not sit on a lot for months and be used for demos
  • Build date can be timed to (hopefully) avoid early production issues

I admit I am not the typical buyer as I tend to go light on the options and gadgets but ordering a vehicle can be a positive for md any buyers that have the patience and time to deal with the uncertaincies and variables of delivery time.

As far as purchase price is concerned it has always been my theory that an ordered car should be cheaper for the dealer and a better deal for the buyer as the sale will basically just be a paperwork exchange since the car will not sit in the dealer's inventory and incur floor plan charges. Of course the dealer will prefer to sell a car out of their current inventory but if the one I want doesn't exist then my feeling is to insist on a factory order and get only what you want. A good dealer should be willing to work wit you.

As far as negotiating price, there are other forum members who can provide some good advice on this. Good luck with your purchase.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I couldn't find one like I wanted anywhere so I had to order and believe me I looked everywhere. I kind of regret not ordering the parking package so I could get the backup camera and front sensors for parking. Besides that, I got exactly what I wanted and so far I am very glad I waited for it instead of settling for what they had on the lot. They mostly had SE's and there were no SEL's which is what I wanted. Very happy with my focus extraordinaire.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just ordered, and my salesman explained to me that by ordering they could cut me a better deal since there is no overhead for them. The car shows up and I take it home. I ended up paying $1000 under MSRP, including destination and NY ad fee.

·
Registered
366 Posts
My dealer here in Houston was glad to order me my 2012 Focus at invoice.
An ordered vehicle is a slam dunk for them, no risk.

You may want to talk to the dealer internet or fleet sales guy. They are easy.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I can't find a Focus I want with the colors and options so I think I'm going to factory order. I don't mind waiting.

Now that I know what I want, I'm researching prices and such. I've never factory ordered a car before so I was wondering if it is harder to get a dealer to negotiate a price? Do they make less money if I order from factory and are they less willing to negotiate?

Here is what I want:

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback (Titanium)
401A Package
Blue Candy Metallic
Parking Technology Package
Titanium Handling Package
Voice Activated Navigation

Build on Ford.com prices it at $27,270 MSRP
Invoice prices on this build from other websites come to: $25,276

Both prices factor in the destination fee of $795. Any ideas on what a fair offer to a dealer would be or can anyone give me a ballpark on what you paid for your titanium with similar options?

Thanks for any help!
I ordered my Focus Jan 3rd, 2011 it came in June. I got the $500 technology rebate plus a $750 rebate that came out while waiting. My advice, do not settle for what is available get what you want. I hope you do not have the same problems we have had with our hatchback.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I ordered my Titanium last week. I like the idea that it's not going to be used for test drives. What I want, when I want. :)
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies everyone. I've seen what is on the lots and I just don't want to settle, plan on keeping this car a long time so I want to be sure to get exactly what I want.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I would echo getting what you want. Plus, I found the prices were better when ordering one. I found out what I wanted and emailed all the dealers around the area. I ended up getting it for $700 under invoice BEFORE ford credit cash and ford cash. Order Sept 14th, but no VIN number yet.

Hence, you might have to be patient!!

·
Registered
968 Posts
we ordered ours, the only 5-speed they had en route was an S, we wanted a loaded SE 5-speed.

Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
30 Posts
It was $700 under invoice. He just took/credited the dealer holdback $709 but charges a $99 admin fee. In the end, I think it was about 2% over his actual cost if you include the admin fee.

5 Dr. Hatchback SEL $19,656.00
Red Candy Tint 344.00
303A Equipment Group 2,397.00
Winter Pkg. 409.00
Fuel Charge 46.20
Adv. Assessment 312.00
Destination 795.00
Less Package discount -318.00

Invoice Total $23,614.20
Less Holdback -709.00

Sale Price $22,905.20

Hopefully I did the math right!!

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Thanks for the replies everyone. I've seen what is on the lots and I just don't want to settle, plan on keeping this car a long time so I want to be sure to get exactly what I want.
One very important issue to do is to go over your order with a fine tooth comb and make sure the order form states exactly what you want.
And on your purchase agreement write a statement on it to the effect you will not accept delivery unless it is the exact spec's that you ordered.

It would be very benefical if your salesperson has a copy of the ordering guide with the particular code numbers for all the features, paint colour, etc so there are no chances of your car showing up with incorrect features/options.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I ordered my SEL Blue Candy Metallic Hatch on 8/15 I'm supposed to take delivery sometime this week. I love having my name on the window sticker. [:D]

·
Registered
139 Posts
I ordered my SEL Blue Candy Metallic Hatch on 8/15 I'm supposed to take delivery sometime this week. I love having my name on the window sticker. [:D]
I wonder why some people have names on window stickers and others don't. It is probably some flag the dealer sets.

Anyway, I ordered mine because I had no intention of paying for a moonroof I will never use, and every candy blue seemed to have one in my area.

SEL
Sedan
Candy Blue
Winter
Nav
303A
parking
(exterior and door sill are dealer install)

·
Registered
179 Posts
I always order from the factory, always. I ordered my 2012 Ford Focus Titanium on May 20th and it arrived at the dealership on June 23rd and I took possession on June 28th.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts