Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How low can I go with out haveing to change my strut/shocks? Just wanna change springs.....Have stock 16" wheel with stock tires.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
1.5" drop is probably the max to keep from bottoming out the shocks, but the increased spring rates from lowering springs are not very well paired with the stock shocks and will wear them out quickly.

almost everyone will recomend changing the springs AND shocks, but if you insist, i would say get the SVT springs (0.75" drop) as they have one of the softer spring rates

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
If you are changing out the springs you might as well do the struts and shocks as well. The struts must be taken out and disassembled to get new springs in there and the rear shocks are just two bolts to take out. Really very very easy.

I would really recommend not replacing just the springs. Your stock dampers are 4 years old and are probably worn out a bit. Putting shorter springs on there will make them wear out much quicker as they cannot take advantage of their full range of movement.

Save your money and do it right. Do it once. You will get much better handling as well. Good dampers matched to the springs help with the transition of weight to the wheels of the vehicle. Too soft of dampers and you will create a bouncy ride in the straight line and a wallowing ride into corners.

Look into the Eibach pro-kit or the SVT kit. The Eibach drops you 1.5 and the SVT .75. Both will yeild awesome improvements in both handling and look over your stock setup. And will last a long time.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Yes both the Eibach pro-kit and the SVT suspension kit are complete kits. THe SVT kit even comes with a 21mm rear swaybar. Here are some links.

SVT: http://focus.c-f-m.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=477

Eibach: http://focus.c-f-m.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=89

The SVT kit is really an awesome deal. Not as big a drop (.75 inches) but handles awesome.

The Eibach kit gives you ever so slightly stiffer ride with a 1.5" drop. Handling between the two kits from what I hear is roughly the same.

With stock wheels you could probably go 2" without rubbing. For this you would want the H&R kit. Its a bit more expensive.
http://focussport.com/cupkit.htm

There are two kits from H&R. One that lowers it 2.5" (sport) and then one that lowers it 1.75" (touring kit).

Just do it right the first time and you will be happy.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
ah didn't catch that. Massive sells a kit that allows you to use 05 and minus suspension kits. The difference was with the strut design. You could check out Hilbish Ford though. Mike sells the ford racing performance parts kit which is comparable to the Eibach pro kit. Also a 1.5" drop with very similar handling characteristics. He has kits that will fit your 06 just fine.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
i used sportlines (2inch) with the 17inch euro's on my car, didnt rub... now i have 16's, and am planning on coilovers to go even lower.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
You gotta love that you can go that low without having to worry about heavy snow and such... so jealous... Even with my SVT springs I have been plowing all our roads...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts