Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a focus se (non svt) and im lookin into a drop i was wondering how low i can go if i use stock svt struts?

·
Banned
1,671 Posts
I'm on FRPP / KW springs with no problems (I think it was almost an inch drop for me, so add .75 inch to that for a non-SVT)

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
i have a focus se (non svt) and im lookin into a drop i was wondering how low i can go if i use stock svt struts?

I doubt they would be useful on anything more than 1". That said, the spring rates are just as important. Anything 10 to 15% stiffer than SVT springs will probably wear them out as well.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
This has been discussed for years now, i still have my stock struts with the Tien springs that are a 2.0" and 2.3" drop and they have been on there for almost 4 years and are still perfect. If youre looking at doing a good drop and have a suspension that "works", i have the FRPP kit that will drop your car 1.5". PM me if you have questions.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
my stock struts with the Tien springs that are a 2.0" and 2.3" drop and they have been on there for almost 4 years and are still perfect.

I respectively disagree, you're struts are not perfect and probably far from it. Shocks and struts wear out very subtly. Its a slow process. Very few fail all at once (but it is possible). Some damping is provided until complete failure. The problem with this is that once a shock loses 50% of its damping its pretty much ineffective. The problem is that our senses adapt to the wear and we think nothing has changed and everything is working fine. I guarantee you that if you were to put a new set on the difference would be eye popping.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I respectively disagree, you're struts are not perfect and probably far from it. Shocks and struts wear out very subtly. Its a slow process. Very few fail all at once (but it is possible). Some damping is provided until complete failure. The problem with this is that once a shock loses 50% of its damping its pretty much ineffective. The problem is that our senses adapt to the wear and we think nothing has changed and everything is working fine. I guarantee you that if you were to put a new set on the difference would be eye popping.
from what i hear mike's car is still handling like a champ, pulling over 1.0g's on turns. he's i guy i trust and if he honestly can tell me that svt struts and tein springs will last im gonna believe him

·
Focusless
1,826 Posts
wait... so mike just has springs right now?
nothing else but springs and hes got a 2 in drop?

cuz im lookin for a drop without spending much cash at all.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I wouldn't doubt it.. I got a set of megan racing springs 3 years ago with the same 2"/2.3" drop. I've been running my stock struts/shocks and still drive my car just as hard as day 1. They were very inexpensive.

·
Detailing Freak
348 Posts
when i had my focus, i used the svt shocks and struts, and lowered the car with eibach pro kit springs

drove it for about 30k miles, no problems, and the svt and eibach parts came off a car with about 40k on it

·
Focusless
1,826 Posts
Okay, well I have a zx3, not an svt.

What do you recommend I do?
I wanna lower it about 2" but i am really tight on cash.

Think i could get away with just springs?

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Okay, well I have a zx3, not an svt.

What do you recommend I do?
I wanna lower it about 2" but i am really tight on cash.

Think i could get away with just springs?

Sure, but you'll have worse handling and riding comfort. Short stiff springs REQUIRE shorter firmer shocks. These two critical components must work together and not against each other (that's what happens when they're mismatched).

·
Focusless
1,826 Posts
So if i didnt get shocks and dampers and struts or whatever everyone says to get, nothing will break? ill still be fine, but i will have worse ride comfort and handling?

·
Registered
42 Posts
i have tein stechs and the ride sucks unless you have some super stiff dampers...im actually changing them out this week for the tein h techs for less of a drop cuz my tires are rubbing and i even rolled my fenders....

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
from what i hear mike's car is still handling like a champ, pulling over 1.0g's on turns. he's i guy i trust and if he honestly can tell me that svt struts and tein springs will last im gonna believe him
I don't know how long Mike ran the SVT dampers with the Tein springs,
but according to the following post, he's running FRPP dampers now:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2436480#post2436480
I'd imagine the FRPP dampers are more compatible with the shorter springs.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
i have tein stechs and the ride sucks unless you have some super stiff dampers...im actually changing them out this week for the tein h techs for less of a drop cuz my tires are rubbing and i even rolled my fenders....

Thanks for being upfront and honest with your experience, this is how folks lean. Would you mind sharing what kind of shocks/struts you used with the s techs? Thanks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts