Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says ... I am planning to do some Seafoaming of my car over the Thanksgiving weekend. I'm going to be doing Seafoam in the gas tank and the crank case. Gas tank I'm going to add it when I top off before the trip and run it the approx 290 miles north (and then change the fuel filter) ... but I seem to recall reading that it shouldn't be left too long in the crank case. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
One thought. Don't put it in your oil. Any decent oil nowadays has so many cleaning additives to it you don't really need to put anything else in there. Especially when you don't know how it might react with the oil. If your car is running decently well also there should be no reason it would be very dirty in there especially if you keep up on the oil changes. I wouldn't do it in the crankcase.

I do however use seafoam once in a while through the gas tank (usually 500 miles or so before I change the fuel filter) and through a vacuum line.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yeah I would rather see around 500m before changing the filter ... but I will have the car up on a lift while I am in GA for Turkey day, so that's when the change will happen. Still, it will be a good 280 - 300 miles of Seafoam run through.

As for the vacuum line, I was considering doing that just before I leave to drive home. That way I'm belching the black smoke down I-75, instead of mostly in my parents neighborhood. Do you use the liquid seafoam from the traditional can, or the Deep Creep for the vacuum line? I was looking ... and thinking that the deep creep would be a lot easier to introduce, since you could stick the little tube into the line and just spray. Thoughts?

I just read the can of Deep Creep, and its the same ingredients as the normal can, plus CO2 for propellant. So I'm guessing it would be the same benefit and easier introduction.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
I have always just used the liquid stuff. Not entirely sure what vac line to use as you have a Zetec but on my Duratec I just use the line off the fuel rail sensor. Works great. You just have to use a line that looks like it will feed all the intake runners and not just one.

I have heard good things about the deep creep too though. Most people just spray it into the throttle body till the car dies. Then let it sit for 10-15 minutes and start her up again.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I've said it before and I'll keep saying it: I really wish that you wouldn't put Seafoam in the crankcase. Why would you want to put Naptha (white gasoline) and Isopropal alcohol (a total of up to 55%), both of which "cuts" the lubricating quality of your engine oil, (plus some kind of unknown light oil to boot), into your engine. As jetrinka mentioned, all the approved motor oils for your car have included "detergents" that keep your engine clean. You don't need this stuff.---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Motor Treatment and Trans Tune
Sea Foam Formula: Proprietary Blend Date Prepared: 1-26-2006
Emergency #: (800)535-5053 MFG. Code ID: 34066
=============================================================================
SECTION II-A HAZARDOUS COMPONENTS
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
NO. COMPONENT EPC# % BY WT.
1 PALE OIL 4229 40-60%
2 NAPHTHA 20 25-35%
3 IPA 125 10-20%

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have heard good things about the deep creep too though. Most people just spray it into the throttle body till the car dies. Then let it sit for 10-15 minutes and start her up again.
that's what i am doing tomorrow. i did it in my old car and it worked wonders.

·
暗炎
1,925 Posts
I didn't have any problems. I only left it in for a short time.
I was kinda afraid it would thin the oil too much, so I didn't run it hard either.

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
I've said it before and I'll keep saying it: I really wish that you wouldn't put Seafoam in the crankcase. Why would you want to put Naptha (white gasoline) and Isopropal alcohol (a total of up to 55%), both of which "cuts" the lubricating quality of your engine oil, (plus some kind of unknown light oil to boot), into your engine. As jetrinka mentioned, all the approved motor oils for your car have included "detergents" that keep your engine clean. You don't need this stuff.---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Motor Treatment and Trans Tune
Sea Foam Formula: Proprietary Blend Date Prepared: 1-26-2006
Emergency #: (800)535-5053 MFG. Code ID: 34066
=============================================================================
SECTION II-A HAZARDOUS COMPONENTS
NO. COMPONENT EPC# % BY WT.
1 PALE OIL 4229 40-60%
2 NAPHTHA 20 25-35%
3 IPA 125 10-20%

^^^ That is great!; I'm glad to see I'm not the only one sharp enough to look up what incredients are in the "miacle can"...I would NEVER put that in my crankcase, run good oil, change it often, NO NEED>

Fuel lines and tank??? No need as well, I have had ford focus tanks down and fuel lines off and changed...Do you guys know I never saw any dirt in there? Just what the fuel filter catches, and our tanks? Yeah, they are plastic.

Carry-on

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
My grandfather had told me once to use transmission fluid to flush the crankcase if there are indications that the oil is not cleaning all the crud out.

The steps for this; drain the oil, change the filter. Put the recommended amount of trans fluid in the motor (if the oil capacity is 4.5 quarts, use 4.5 quarts of trans fluid. Start the engine and let idle for about thirty minutes. Drain the trans fluid, replace the filter. Fill engine with recommended amount of motor oil.
This will usually clean the crankcase, another way is what viney266 says - use good oil and change it often (I would say about every 2,000 miles). Do this until the oil comes out clean, then fill with a good synthetic.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts