Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2012 Focus S has the original clutch at 257,000+ miles. I have always driven standards and do not abuse the clutch. Still, am I on borrowed time? What should I be looking to know if the clutch is on the way out? I don't want to get stuck in rush hour traffic.

·
Registered
160 Posts
My 2012 Focus S has the original clutch at 257,000+ miles. I have always driven standards and do not abuse the clutch. Still, am I on borrowed time? What should I be looking to know if the clutch is on the way out? I don't want to get stuck in rush hour traffic.
I have heard that one way to tell if the clutch is about to go is how having the bite point almost at the top end of the clutch travel. Can you tell if your clutch is slipping or vibrating?

Good god the mileage is quite high. Are you sure your car is not set in kilometres? You got your money's worth out of the Focus!

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
From my experience the clutch normally starts slipping in a high gear at slow speeds.
If I were buying a manual car used to test the clutch I would go uphill at 40 miles an hour in the highest gear.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So far no slipping problems. I was told a while ago that you can check the clutch by starting in second gear without slipping. No problems there either. I have been detecting a slight burning smell through the vents but not when I open the hood so I'm not sure what that is. Plenty of oil in the engine.

·
So mote be it
8,905 Posts
So far no slipping problems. I was told a while ago that you can check the clutch by starting in second gear without slipping. No problems there either. I have been detecting a slight burning smell through the vents but not when I open the hood so I'm not sure what that is. Plenty of oil in the engine.
Have you swapped fluid in the trans ever? Leaks are possible, oil/coolant and that would burn if dripped/sprayed on something hot and could come through the vents. What does it smell like? Coolant will smell sweeter than oil (smell your dip stick or oil cap to compare)

From my experience the clutch normally starts slipping in a high gear at slow speeds.
If I were buying a manual car used to test the clutch I would go uphill at 40 miles an hour in the highest gear.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using FF Mobile
please dont ever test drive my focus ST [hihi]

·
Registered
21 Posts
my clutch throw-out bearing failed causing the clutch to slip extremely bad at around 70k miles mines a 14 se. I'm sure if I didn't drive it after it failed the clutch would have been fine.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's freakin amazing. Are you the original owner?
Yes, original owner. I had a 150 mile round trip commute for the first 7 years of ownership.

With regard to the smell, I only smell it when idling like in stop and go traffic. It's not oil or coolant. I replaced the coolant at 100k and 200k. I replaced the belts and trans oil at 150k. The engine oil is changed regularly and is not low. The smell smells more like belts or the clutch disk. Hence my original question.
However, the clutch is working fine (did the start in second and shift in to 4th at the lower end of the range up a hill, both with no slipping) and the belts look good. Of course, the smell could be other cars on the road I stuck with. Maybe I'm just being paranoid.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Heck, my 2.3 ZX3 has over 280,000 on the original clutch.
I don't baby it, but don't abuse it either. No problems so far. ��

·
Registered
211 Posts
Yes, original owner. I had a 150 mile round trip commute for the first 7 years of ownership.

With regard to the smell, I only smell it when idling like in stop and go traffic. It's not oil or coolant. I replaced the coolant at 100k and 200k. I replaced the belts and trans oil at 150k. The engine oil is changed regularly and is not low. The smell smells more like belts or the clutch disk. Hence my original question.

However, the clutch is working fine (did the start in second and shift in to 4th at the lower end of the range up a hill, both with no slipping) and the belts look good. Of course, the smell could be other cars on the road I stuck with. Maybe I'm just being paranoid.
So basically your (old)long commute is the only reason the original clutch has lasted that long.

With the way I'm going (8-10 mile trips to work during the week, 40 miles drives a time or two on weekends) I doubt I'll get more than 175k out of my clutch(es)

Still. That's very impressive. As long as we're talking DCT, I'm not surprised the numbers are close to that of a true manual.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts