Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
02 ZX5 zetec
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After my DPFE replacement adventure, during which I cleared codes, I now take the car to get its state inspection and am told that I must have replaced the battery because the car hasn't been driven enough miles and when they plug in the OBD connector it says it doesn't have data ("it's not ready for inspection").

So anyone have a guess how many miles this would be ? I've driven it ohh, about 38 miles (I reset the tripmeter) since I cleared codes.

There's a $450 rear brakes/rotors job which I've just avoided at this mileage. I'd like to not have to spend that just yet.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
After my DPFE replacement adventure, during which I cleared codes, I now take the car to get its state inspection and am told that I must have replaced the battery because the car hasn't been driven enough miles and when they plug in the OBD connector it says it doesn't have data ("it's not ready for inspection").
What that means is that one or more of the OBD 'Readiness Monitors' is incomplete (hasnt run). Depending on the monitor the time it takes can be:
a certain number of miles driven
certain number of starts
certain number of hours since the monitors were last cleared.

Some monitors run with the vehicle running and some run with the vehicle off.

Clearing codes with a scan tool does not reset the monitors. Did you disconnect the battery to clear the codes?

Paul

Reactions: focfandc

·
Registered
02 ZX5 zetec
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What that means is that one or more of the OBD 'Readiness Monitors' is incomplete (hasnt run). Depending on the monitor the time it takes can be:
a certain number of miles driven
certain number of starts
certain number of hours since the monitors were last cleared.

Some monitors run with the vehicle running and some run with the vehicle off.

Clearing codes with a scan tool does not reset the monitors. Did you disconnect the battery to clear the codes?

Paul
nope.

the pre-inspection readout says
readiness fail
monitor EVAP not ready
monitor EGR not ready
I just replaced the DPFE sensor for the EGR valve. The CEL went out.

I used forscan with a USB reader, dunno if that makes a difference. There were services 90 miles and 50 miles ago during which the battery may well have been disconnected.

[edit] a ha ! the battery discharged in the interval and I recharged with a charge maintainer. so effectively it was disconnected ?

·
Registered
2006 ZX5 2.0, 2004 ZX3 SVT EE. 2004 ZX3 SVT
2,176 Posts
It is not so much the miles driven since an ecu reset. It is the cold hot cycles. 2 short trips of 15 miles or so with a complete cool off is usually sufficient.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
A lot depends on driving style, but ~100 miles is a good benchmark. If you can see what monitors have not set yet (sounds like EVAP and EGR), you can follow these specific instructions:

Make sure P1000 is not present, that will cause the readiness fail. Do not clear any codes or you'll be starting over.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts