Focus Fanatics Forum banner

How many miles in between front brake pads/rotors?

• Upto-30k

Votes: 10 22.7%
  • 30k-45k

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • 45k-60k

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • 60k-100k

Votes: 13 29.5%
  • 100k-150k

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • 150k+

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember reading Motortrend last week and noticed that fugly Tundra "Work Truck" needed pads, rotors, and tires at some 20,000 miles. What a trooper! lol that's pethetic considering all of the ads they put out stating "and you wanted the big brakes so we gave the new tundra big brakes..." Even the biased Motor Trend thought it was lame that the truck needed work so early. I think I'll stay with the Ford and GM trucks for my work related tasks! lol

Out of curiousity I asked around at work to see what various people are getting with their car brakes and most seemed to be in the 45k range which I also though was pretty low. My cousins Zetec has 170k on the factory brakes. His miles are almost all highway but that's still pretty good. My SVT is pushing 130k on the factory pads and I have allot of stop and go on my commute with stop lights on a highway! [:D]

·
Don't read this!
2,341 Posts
Really? Did you buy the car new because my wife still technically has factory pads, but they were changed at 60 k.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I had all of the maintenance records when I bought the car though. All the oil changes, etc. Maybe they have been done but I doubt it, the records were thorough at 70k. When I bought the car I noted that the pads looked to be at roughly half the thickness by visual inspection. They are starting to look pretty thin now though...

My Cousins Zetec Sedan was bought with about 20k on the clock. It now has 170k+ and still got 34MPG on my trip through Charleston, Myrtle Beach, and Camden with 5 people aboard! Not too shabby!

·
Don't read this!
2,341 Posts
Well. I do live in a stop and go area, maybe that's my issue...

·
Resident Curmudgeon
4,360 Posts
Depending on the weekend, about 140 miles. [thumb]

My application is a bit different.

That said, the average brake life expectancy for most cars is about 30-40K miles for the front. Depending on driving habits, rears can go 100K, but usually go to about 60K.

Reactions: 1-ST

·
Capital Obvious
2,562 Posts
my ST was front pads and rotors at 22K and rears at 30K. Had a few auto x seasons on them. wifes escape was 50K for the fronts and rears were fine...

·
Don't read this!
2,341 Posts
^How much were the St pads?

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Do not go out and buy OEM pads.... I did this once outta pure impulse after I put garbage monroe pads on (cheap) and OEM pads all around for my ST was 250 bucks.... Get yourself some Hawks...

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That said, the average brake life expectancy for most cars is about 30-40K miles for the front. Depending on driving habits, rears can go 100K, but usually go to about 60K.
Looks like this poll reflects about that too. I'd imagine that the SVT would have a slightly longer lifespan than most cars with the 300mm disks up front. Then again, SVTs probably also get driven allot harder! [burnout]

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
pads and rotors at 60k. I probably could have made it to 70 but i didn't want to do a brake job in winter.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
^ I hear that. Precisely why I think I am going to be doing mine soon. They look to be a bit thin now but they probably do have some left at 130k so far.

·
Gal. 2:20
1,999 Posts
I live in stop and go triaffic 7 days a week.....mine are fine and I got about 22,000 on mine...

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
We changed ours about 65K and they still had some life left in them, but not too much more.

·
Banned
1,671 Posts
I've had my car since 85k and it's got 127k on it now....rears need to be replaced (have them already, just need to do it) and the fronts have like half life left on them. Don't know if and/or when they were changed before I bought the car

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
I got 51,000 out of mine. I just changed them yesterday. I put on some wearever gold and there a good pad for the price.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
There's too many variables to even remotely come up with some sort of reasonable average. Some include weight of car, where driven (open highway, city streets, flat, hilly, etc.), pad compounds (hard ceramics, soft organics), and how they're applied (riding the brakes vs a swift firm action).

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well yeah obviously driving conditions are a huge factor. I don't think anyone was trying to draw up a distinct average but it does seem that most people change theirs at less than 60k. Sure that might be a bigger rep of how perhaps most foci people polling here are in cities. Who knows, I was just curious.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
depends on way too much

i know people who have gotten 25 years (200k km) on factory brakes (manual, babbied, summer only driven) and people who have destroyed brakes in 5-10k (manual, tracked weekley, heavy braking on streets)

for average driving in Canada year round driving seems the average is 3-5 year/40-60k Km. typically drums will rot out or the salt gets between the pads/rotors and will really corrode the shit out of everything.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts